BCM V.92 56K Modem process

Stephen

My computer accesses the net via a cable modem and an integrated Intel network connection. I also have a BCM V.92 56K Modem which I never use - or at least I never use dial up. However, there is an associated process (BCMSMMSG.exe) which loads at startup - though I don't remember it doing this before recently. Either I didn't notice it before, or somehow it has activated itself. Can I disable this process, or at least remove it from the startup list? Any advice?

Can I disable this process, or at least remove it from the startup list? Any advice?

I would disable it as opposed to removing it, just in case you may need it in the future.

To disable this process (or any non-Windows startup process, for that matter), click Start, then select "Run...". In Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotes). In the System Configuration Utility window, click the tab labeled "Startup" at the top right hand corner, find "BCMSMMSG.exe", and uncheck the box which corresponds with it. Apply the change, click OK, and choose to restart your computer. Once Windows starts back up, that process should not be running.

If you ever decided you want to use that process again, simply go back and recheck the box. This will add it back to the startup list.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!