Restore Points disappear

sachem

I have discovered recently that my restore points are disappearing on a regular basis.

Question is does CC clear restore points - as a log file - I would have thought that restore points needed a separate category.

Anyone know how CC treats Windows restore point files ?

• Moderators

I believe a handful of people have had the issue with previous versions, however I think you're the first with the newest release - that is if you're using the newest release. It seems to happen on some systems, but not all. As to why it happens I don't have a clue, and it would best answered by the CCleaner developer MrG.

Thanks for the reply - the other thing I did before the restore points disappeared was defragment the disk drive - could be related ?

I'll check more often see if i can find the problem.

Thanks y'all

dont think this is it but right click on my computer and go to properties.

click the system restore tab.

under disk space to use, if thats set too low, it will manually delete the oldest points to make room for the newer ones.

1) go to start>settings>control pannel>administrative tools>event viewer.

see if there are any errors in application or system.

2)did some searching and found others with a similar problem, this is a post that i found on a site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q302796

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q301224

It does not seem to be a very common problem. I have looked on various forums, internet pages and so far the only explanation is that if system restore stops , the data is purged. (Some of the above articles may also help. Like article 301224 on multiple partitions

"It is important to note that if you have a multiple-partition computer with a drive with little free space on it, this drive could cause System Restore to hang all across the system and delete restore points. ..."

Found the problem - it was caused by a file "shredder" - eraser.exe - although not it's fault. There are a few of these now - designed to obliterate confidential files that have been deleted but are often left intact on the drive but no longer in the file system. I had not used it much and set it to erase all "empty" space on the drive rather than individual files.

The program works not by erasing the data but by actually writing something over the unused space. So it keeps writing until it fills the drive - at which pooint windows says it is short of disc space and deletes the "non-essential" restore points.

My apologies to MrG for suggesting that his program is anything less than perfect.

• 7 months later...
Very good of you to let us know what caused your problem, it all helps to help others. Hope you will continue to join in the forum.

I'm sure Mr G will forgive you :)

I don't know the answer but I have 3 computers all running ver. 1.36.430. Two are Dell's both exactly alike and the other is home built. All are running winXP sp2. The home built deletes the "restore points" when Cleaner is run with a check in the box "empty recycle bin" but when the check is removed, I can run Cleaner and the restore points are retained. On both the Dells, even with "empty recycle bin" checked Cleaner works as expected and leaves the restore points in place. I can see no reason for this other than maybe just a system difference that will never be discovered.

I don't know why your restore points would disappear on that home built system, however you're using an old CCleaner version as 1.38.485 is now the current build and is available at:

http://www.CCleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

First time poster here. I recently posted this to ACF ng and it was suggested I report it here.

I started using CCleaner (v1.38.485) which is very quick and efficient, however I believe it blows away my Dell XPS410 (WinXP/SP2) PC restore points. When I tried restore recently, no matter which point I selected, it would not work. This attempt was after running CCleaner about 2 hours earlier. Is there a setting within CCleaner which will stop this from happening? Thanks.

Hello Squeezer :)

Have a read here, a great system restore troubleshooting guide

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Thanks Hazelnut -- It makes sense that Norton would be involved, hadn't thought about that angle. CCleaner's an innocent bystander. Sometimes I feel like a ping-pong ball bouncing back and forth between MS and Norton. Sure wish those two would get together for compatibility sake. All I want is a PC that works correctly. Oh well, maybe someday . . . ;)

Has anyone figured out how to get the restore points on WindowsXP from disappearing when using CCleaner.exe? If so, can you tell me how you configured it? Thanks

DeeDee -- Check out Hazelnut's reply above, seems like Norton's the culprit. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows XP SP2 and it appears that CCleaner (1.39.502) is erasing restore point(s). I noticed that they were all gone after attempting to recover from an unrelated install. Just to be sure, I set a new point, verified that it was ready/available, then ran CCleaner "Clean" option. I found no reference to the restore point files in the list, so I erased them. Immediately went back to system restore and found that the point I had set was gone.

Next I checked my system restore points on a nearby Gateway 4016. Lots of points in place, but not sure when I ran my last CCleaner "Clean". Ran it again, cleaned it, and the restore points remained intact.

I don't have Norton or shredder or any of the other stuff going on the Toshiba, and since this was an immediate test (set restore point, run CClean, restore point gone), it suggests there may be some issue. I'll keep observing this to see if I can narrow it down.

CClean is an outstanding program, but if it has this vulnerability, I'm sure MrG will want to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows XP SP2 and it appears that CCleaner (1.39.502) is erasing restore point(s). I noticed that they were all gone after attempting to recover from an unrelated install. Just to be sure, I set a new point, verified that it was ready/available, then ran CCleaner "Clean" option. I found no reference to the restore point files in the list, so I erased them. Immediately went back to system restore and found that the point I had set was gone.

Next I checked my system restore points on a nearby Gateway 4016. Lots of points in place, but not sure when I ran my last CCleaner "Clean". Ran it again, cleaned it, and the restore points remained intact.

I don't have Norton or shredder or any of the other stuff going on the Toshiba, and since this was an immediate test (set restore point, run CClean, restore point gone), it suggests there may be some issue. I'll keep observing this to see if I can narrow it down.

CClean is an outstanding program, but if it has this vulnerability, I'm sure MrG will want to fix it.

"Have a read here, a great system restore troubleshooting guide"

Thanks, Hazelnut, for that link. . .have turned off system restore on my recovery partition, only one year late, who knew? :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I have a shredder type program which warns me if I try to shred a folder with any system type files in it, such as .ini, .exe, .dll, etc. It says that since these files are backed up in system restore, it will shut off system restore so that they may be deleted. So of course all the restore points disappear.

Could this be in any way related to CCleaner's behavior?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.