Adblock question

Monkey Proof

djlizard seems to have the biggest brain here, so im following his lead.

Well...if he has the biggest brain then you shouldn't listen to him. A bigger brain does not equal intelligence. ;) But he might be the most educated. :) That does equal intelligence.

It is never suggested to disable the DNS Client, and manual/automatic will work as the same so either is fine.

now im going to drink beer and try to forget this whole dns/hosts thing, because you guys are making me crazy setting it to disable/manual/automatic.

:)

I can picture you going back and forth to this thread all day and continuously changing it. That's a funny thought. lmao

Leave it alone! Auto is fine.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Disabled

(Like me on a Friday night) :)

crap, i gotta work 6 days straight starting tomorrow night at 9:30-7:30! no beers for LOTW!

but i get to harass gang bangers, dealers and such, so its all good!

well that's the whole point now isn't it :D

The whole point of the HOSTS file, not the service being on or off...smart a$$ ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

It's best for you, your computer and your connection if you leave the DNS Client service set to Automatic. As DjLizard said, setting it to Manual will just result it in turning itself on when you're on the net.

Actually in my case it doesn't turn itself on when set to manual while I'm online and have been online for a good amount of time, yet I notice zero ill effects.

Screenshot:

dnsclient.png.xs.jpg

Sorry, but I've been dying to ask. What part don't you understand?

Well,I'm quite new to computing so all this stuff about DNS clients and HOSTS files is a trifle beyond me. But, I use Firefox and I do understand about Adblock and the filterset G updater. They both work fine for me here.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Well,I'm quite new to computing so all this stuff about DNS clients and HOSTS files is a trifle beyond me. But, I use Firefox and I do understand about Adblock and the filterset G updater. They both work fine for me here.

Hi Woody,

Yep I've read quite a bit about DNS service and to be honest I'm no wiser about it.

Works fine with it disabled so I'll stick with that. :)

DNS is Domain Name Server/Service.

It resolves human-readable domain names such as www.ccleaner.com into machine-readable IP addresses such as 154.65.36.76

On Windows apparently it works wether it is enabled or disabled, but when it is enabled, entries are cached (means saved). So the next time it needs to lookup (resolve) a previous resolved domain name into an address, it gets the address from its cache. That way it dont have to query the DNS server for the address everytime.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

No ill effects? Yet in your screenshot none of the images loaded. :lol:

dnsclient.png.xs.jpg

Yeah but you wouldn't have known that when I use Opera I don't allow images to load (which any Opera user would know looking at cached image icon next to the eyeball that has 100% at the upper right), remember I'm on dial-up and loading images takes ages.

• Moderators

I tried Opera 9 a few times but I just don't like it.

Opera 9.0 has to be the buggiest "stable" release version of Opera I've ever had the misfortune of using, although there have been other troublesome versions in the past. 9.0 has some serious problems from some webpages like Yahoo! TV not loading properly and being completely unusable, to all sorts of stuff that worked fine in 8.54 which is why I completely removed 9.0 and installed 8.54.