Adblock question

Monkey Proof

• Moderators

I've been blocking sites via the HOSTS file for at least six years now and haven't noticed any ill effects. Also in disabling the WinXP DNS Client Service I have not noticed any ill effects either.

However I suppose since MS has an article about it someone could notice some effect, albeit I haven't - but then again I'm on dial-up which is slow anyways.

The service should turn itself on when needed if set to manual right?

Though I've not found any definitive information on when exactly that service will turn itself on. I'll see about testing this on my VPC to see when and if the service turns on. :P

I actually did quite a bit of research on the topic before I started that topic back in april.

Every major trustworthy site I went to endorsed the idea of using the host to block malicious sites/ads/hijackers ect.

Some good links(the bleeping computer one is the most informative)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-045.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile.html

http://www.dead-eye.net/Windows%20XP%20Pro...tm#DNS%20Client (black viper services list.)

Its not like this all isnt easily reversible anyway. I have been using it for a few months now and dont even notice it(except when I go to IE and all the ads are gone :P). Use it or not thats ultimately the users choice but the general consensus from a security stand point is that its another easy layer of protection.

Yet none of those linked sources give you firm, official information. GRC is a joke (he always has been for his mis-information), Wikipedia cannot be guaranteed true as so many users can edit it. It's already been said by Microsoft that it will slow down your computer. If people were smart, they'd read it from the source, Microsoft; and then know what to or not to do. And it's quite clear when Microsoft says overall performance decreases and increases network traffic. That says in plain english that two things to slow down your computer will happen. So, how is that a good thing? It's not. :)

I've been blocking sites via the HOSTS file for at least six years now and haven't noticed any ill effects. Also in disabling the WinXP DNS Client Service I have not noticed any ill effects either.

However I suppose since MS has an article about it someone could notice some effect, albeit I haven't - but then again I'm on dial-up which is slow anyways.

You may wish to try setting the DNS Client service back to Automatic and see if there are any increases in your speeds.

To get rid of Google ads, you add an entry like this;

googlesyndication.com

If you still get adds then you can add an entry like this;

*/pagead/*

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

You may wish to try setting the DNS Client service back to Automatic and see if there are any increases in your speeds.

Here's some stats for you - this is not an argument of who's right or wrong, it's just what I encountered doing things the "Microsoft way":

1. I set the DNS Client to Automatic, followed by a reboot. Then I noticed no websites whatsoever would load no matter what browser I tried (IE, Firefox, Opera).

2. I set it back to Manual, and then tried to reboot however I got a pop-up dialog noting that the Service wasn't responding. I had to end task it in order to reboot.

3. Now with it set to Manual, and after a reboot websites load in all browsers again. This is of no surprise to me since MVPS and hpHOSTS both say to disable DNS Client with a large HOSTS file.

• Moderators

Did you remove or clear out the HOSTS file when you attempted this?

No, and why would I?

I had a large HOSTS file long before I even set DNS Client to manual as suggested by MVPS however it didn't exceed the supposed filesize limit on WinXP. Now it does however exceed the filesize limit because I'm using my HOSTS file, the MVPS HOSTS file, and the hpHOSTS HOSTS file.

Then how can you determine the accuracy of your test when you still had your own settings there?

You said you were trying things the Microsoft way; then you should have purged your HOSTS file. You may even want to try doing a ipconfig /dnsflush to see if there are any changes.

Sorry, but you barely even scratched the surface. :)

Just an observation on my part. :)

I run without any entries in the hosts file and with DNS service disabled.

Only use FF here with adblockplus and noscript and don't seem to have any slowdowns.

If I set DNS service to start ZAP throws up a warning that "generic host process" wants to lauch this or that and connect to where ever.

Can't remember exactly what and can't find any entries in the ZAP logs.

Nothing malicious but I guess I'm just a control freak. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone disable the DNS Client? So that every time you visit a site it has to re-request the IP address? That is extra network traffic for no reason.

Setting it to Manual would almost be the same thing as setting it to Automatic, as the instant a program wants to find an IP address, it will turn itself on. I figure most people browse the web, check their email, or connect to instant messaging networks and crap as soon as their system is loaded anyway, so why bother putting DNS Client on-demand?

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

Setting it to Manual would almost be the same thing as setting it to Automatic, as the instant a program wants to find an IP address, it will turn itself on. I figure most people browse the web, check their email, or connect to instant messaging networks and crap as soon as their system is loaded anyway, so why bother putting DNS Client on-demand?

Thank you, this solves the question.

The whole point of disableing the service was to keep from experiencing slowdown from using a large host file. And if setting it to manual will stop the slow down and let it start up when needed then what I thought all along was right.

But if you set it to manual, it will start the instant a program requests an IP lookup (edit: a lookup that isn't present in HOSTS), so that is nearly the same thing as setting it to Automatic, and will help you with nothing. edit: you'd need to put a line for each site you plan on visiting, with the current IP of the site, to prevent normal browsing from starting the service. As soon as you sign on to MSN, AIM, check your email, or browse a site, DNS client (while set to manual) will start right up (edit: providing that there is no HOSTS line for it). You'd have to put a hell of a lot of IPs in your HOSTS file to prevent casual browsing from starting the client.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

In short. This thread ended up being pointless. LMAO

HOST files suggest that you set the service to "manual", not "disabled". While set on manual the service will be started anyway. Therefore, whether the service is set to auto, or manual...the service will be on if you connect to the internet.

MOVING ON!!!! :lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

actually, i learned a lot from this thread.

Good. Then it did serve a purpose after all. :)

Yo yo yo LOTW!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

actually, i learned a lot from this thread.

I haven't the faintest idea what anybody's talking about. :lol:

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I haven't the faintest idea what anybody's talking about. :lol:

Sorry, but I've been dying to ask. What part don't you understand?

Here's another that can't work out the DNS service. :)

Have read a lot of articles and listened to advice and I know what it's supposed to do.

Using FF here and things seem snappier with DNS turned off.

I think I'll go with the motto that if it works fine for you then use it.(or don't use it) ;)

It's best for you, your computer and your connection if you leave the DNS Client service set to Automatic. As DjLizard said, setting it to Manual will just result it in turning itself on when you're on the net.

Yes I know but I have it set to disabled so it doesn't kick in.

Could be that I have followed Bold Fortunes XP slimming guide and certain dependacies aren't there.

I am certainly not saying that anyone should turn it off and they should leave on auto.

FF seems snappier with DNS disabled on my pc with my setup.

IPSEC service won't kick in so that could be a factor.

Quote BF:

"DNS Client"

"DNS Client resolves and caches (Domain Name Server) DNS names. DNS Client is required if using IPSEC.

There are lots of arguments about this one. My opinion, it's not required. If you disable it, all the lookups will be done by your Internet Service Provider's DNS."

Here's another that can't work out the DNS service. :)

Have read a lot of articles and listened to advice and I know what it's supposed to do.

Using FF here and things seem snappier with DNS turned off.

I think I'll go with the motto that if it works fine for you then use it.(or don't use it) ;)

So you have it disabled, or stopped? There's a difference (which I'm sure that you know...didn't mean to insult).

i enabled the damn thing. then i went to the gym and benchpressed till i thought i was going to puke. then i took the kids for an hour long bike ride.

you guys are going round and round on a linguistic merry go round and im getting dizzy. djlizard seems to have the biggest brain here, so im following his lead.

now im going to drink beer and try to forget this whole dns/hosts thing, because you guys are making me crazy setting it to disable/manual/automatic.

:)

Disabled

(Like me on a Friday night) :)

w00t!!! w00t!!! for Friday night :D

Well you know what Humpty? If you're happy with it then, rock on. It won't get you infected, and/or f*ck up your pc or anything. ;)