IE 7 Beta 3

I have installed IE7 Beta 3 first uninstalling IE7 Beta 2 (with Andy Manchestera instructions on how to remove IE7 Beta 2) and i have run Ccleaner no problems so far.

Hi joiner. This needs to be CLEAR, because it can be dangerous...e.g., reformatting your pc. Please read the following very carefully.

IF, you tick the box that says "Hotfix Uninstaller" under the Andvanced options you will never be able to remove IE7 Beta 3 from your PC without reformatting. With Beta 2 we could use someone else's Uninstaller folder, as Andy uploaded it for people. But with Beta 3 this cannot be done.

In addition, CCleaner does not know how to handle the cookies, and will clean your IE7 Beta cookies even if you tell it to keep them.

"Please note that this build is intended for technical enthusiasts. Be aware that *I* expect you to be ready, willing and able to reformat your system if things go wrong - therefore, if you come to the groups and say "IE7 killed my machine but I have no backup and can't reformat, I hate Microsoft" you won't be getting much in the way of sympathy from me ;o)

This upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 focuses primarily on bug and compatibility issues and is currently available in English for XP SP2, x64 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 on June 26, 2006. Other languages are to come soon (German, Japanese, Finnish & Arabic).

Uninstallation instructions - these are quite different to what has gone before.

IE7 Beta 3 creates this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\ie7beta3

In that directory is an spuninst folder. Inside that folder is spuninst.exe as well as a very interesting document called spuninst.txt which details exactly what will be deleted and replaced with older copies during uninstall of IE7 Beta 3.

Now, in the past some have offered their own copies of the uninstall directory when others have foolishly deleted their own copies, or third party software has done it for them. But be warned, there is more to removing IE7 Beta 3 than just that directory. A directory called C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ is also edited/created during the installation of IE7 Beta 3, and it is full of various security update folders. The potential for damage if you take somebody else's C:\Windowsie7beta3 and install it on your own system to remove the beta is incalculable. On my system $NtUninstallKB915865$ and $NtUninstallKB904942$ were also created/updated."

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi joiner. This needs to be CLEAR, because it can be dangerous...e.g., reformatting your pc. Please read the following very carefully.

IF, you tick the box that says "Hotfix Uninstaller" under the Andvanced options you will never be able to remove IE7 Beta 3 from your PC without reformatting. With Beta 2 we could use someone else's Uninstaller folder, as Andy uploaded it for people. But with Beta 3 this cannot be done.

In addition, CCleaner does not know how to handle the cookies, and will clean your IE7 Beta cookies even if you tell it to keep them.

"Please note that this build is intended for technical enthusiasts. Be aware that *I* expect you to be ready, willing and able to reformat your system if things go wrong - therefore, if you come to the groups and say "IE7 killed my machine but I have no backup and can't reformat, I hate Microsoft" you won't be getting much in the way of sympathy from me ;o)

This upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 focuses primarily on bug and compatibility issues and is currently available in English for XP SP2, x64 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 on June 26, 2006. Other languages are to come soon (German, Japanese, Finnish & Arabic).

Uninstallation instructions - these are quite different to what has gone before.

In that directory is an spuninst folder. Inside that folder is spuninst.exe as well as a very interesting document called spuninst.txt which details exactly what will be deleted and replaced with older copies during uninstall of IE7 Beta 3.

Now, in the past some have offered their own copies of the uninstall directory when others have foolishly deleted their own copies, or third party software has done it for them. But be warned, there is more to removing IE7 Beta 3 than just that directory. A directory called C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ is also edited/created during the installation of IE7 Beta 3, and it is full of various security update folders. The potential for damage if you take somebody else's C:\Windowsie7beta3 and install it on your own system to remove the beta is incalculable. On my system $NtUninstallKB915865$ and $NtUninstallKB904942$ were also created/updated."

I have Hotfix uninstaller unchecked, but thanks for the information on it, will put back IE6

Does this help me to manually remove IE7Beta2 when I manually delete those files?

Does this help me to manually remove IE7Beta2 when I manually delete those files?

My 2 cents on installing IE7 (or ANY new software, registry hacks, etc.) BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM FIRST! I use Norton Ghost to create an image file of my entire C drive, including the registry, and I store the image files on an external hard drive. Once you have a backup you are free to experiment to your heart's content. You are even free to infect your system with nasty viruses. When something bad happens all you do is retrieve the last image file and all your mistakes are rolled back to the point where your computer was working perfectly. I installed IE7 Beta about a month ago, didn't like it, and removed it by going back to the image file I created just before installing IE7. The entire process took about 11 minutes and I have over 7GB of data on my C drive.

Happy tweaking,

Mark ;)

My 2 cents on installing IE7 (or ANY new software, registry hacks, etc.) BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM FIRST! I use Norton Ghost to create an image file of my entire C drive, including the registry, and I store the image files on an external hard drive. Once you have a backup you are free to experiment to your heart's content. You are even free to infect your system with nasty viruses. When something bad happens all you do is retrieve the last image file and all your mistakes are rolled back to the point where your computer was working perfectly. I installed IE7 Beta about a month ago, didn't like it, and removed it by going back to the image file I created just before installing IE7. The entire process took about 11 minutes and I have over 7GB of data on my C drive.

Happy tweaking,

Mark ;)

I already do backups, but why I am not allowed to ask questions like mine?

Maybe he knows more about this, and I am interested in such stuff.

Nobody willing to answer my question?

I already do backups, but why I am not allowed to ask questions like mine?

Maybe he knows more about this, and I am interested in such stuff.

Nobody willing to answer my question?

I don't understand the question. <_<

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

you wrote that intime that iebeta folder is thatinformation file for what is getting installed and repalces.

if I do this theoratically manually (by myself), could I this way manually geta a rid of beta 2 and become finally beta 3?

thanks in advance! :)

you wrote that intime that iebeta folder is thatinformation file for what is getting installed and repalces.

if I do this theoratically manually (by myself), could I this way manually geta a rid of beta 2 and become finally beta 3?

thanks in advance! :)

In theory that is possible. But there are many files and folders so it would take a very long time. If you are trying to uninstall Beta 2, your best bet is to get a copy of someone's uninstaller. Btw, Beta 3 is much better. :)

I would not suggest that you manually, by yourself, try to make the changes. There will be registry changes as well. (Just wanted to make that clear. ;) )

In theory that is possible. But there are many files and folders so it would take a very long time. If you are trying to uninstall Beta 2, your best bet is to get a copy of someone's uninstaller. Btw, Beta 3 is much better. :)

I would not suggest that you manually, by yourself, try to make the changes. There will be registry changes as well. (Just wanted to make that clear. ;) )

There is a scrip for that already for German windows xp sp2 and german ie 7 beta 2

http://www.pcwelt.de/know-how/tipps_tricks...1333/index.html

• 4 weeks later...
I have installed IE7 Beta 3 first uninstalling IE7 Beta 2 (with Andy Manchestera instructions on how to remove IE7 Beta 2) and i have run Ccleaner no problems so far.
Well, no such luck here. CCleaner continues to wipe out my cookies: my Google preferences, login settings at newegg.com and various forums, etc. Proving to be a real pain in the butt-inski. Darned shame, too, 'cause I like CCleaner, but I rely on IE7 beta 3. There is no coin toss involved here, as IE7 will stay on my machines.

Is anyone looking into this further? Can I expect relief in the near future? I need something that cleans the crap, but keeps the cookies of my choice. Thanks.

• Moderators

I need something that cleans the crap, but keeps the cookies of my choice.

You could uncheck the IE cleaning in CC, and then just use IE's Internet Options with it's cleaners to remove the Temporary Internet Files and History, while leaving your cookies intact.

Thanks for the quick comment. Let me try that and post back. I do dearly love this lil' utility and would hate to stop using it altogether. :)

Edit: Yes, that turned the trick for me! Thanks for that elegant suggestion. :D And I am confident the boys and girls at Microsoft/CCleaner will get this all ironed out eventually.