Novice Query Regarding Using Defraggler on an SSD

elnorte

Hi

As per the topic title I have very little expertise on this subject so please bear with me.

I first bought my current Toshiba laptop in May 2016 and have been using Defraggler since January 2017.  However, I have only recently realised that I probably haven't understood the functionality aspects of the programme nearly as well as I should.

To elaborate, when I use the 'Optimize' function I am presented with the 'Optimize operation will zero-fill your drive' warning.  However, I am now under the impression that since my SSD is TRIM enabled (I ran the appropriate checks via Command Prompt) there should be no requirement for a zero-fill. 

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect but as my subscription is due to expire today any insight or advice on the issue would be most appreciated.  I guess most importantly it would be good to know whether it is still worth renewing.

Many thanks

• Moderators

There is no real need to defrag an SSD. Indeed some say that you should never do it.

However that is a bit out of date and was meant really for older SSDs that had a small write/erase operations limit, so zero filling a drive would use up some of that limit. If you did it often enough you would soon reach the limit. Newer SSDs have a much larger limit so it's not the same problem as it was.

If you have Windows 10 then as well as optimising it will ocassionally do a defrag of SSDs.

As to your question about renewing your licence - if you don't renew then you will lose your priority access to the support team and lose automatic updates, (when was defraggler last updated?), but everything else should work as it does now.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

16 hours ago, nukecad said:

There is no real need to defrag an SSD. Indeed some say that you should never do it.

However that is a bit out of date and was meant really for older SSDs that had a small write/erase operations limit, so zero filling a drive would use up some of that limit. If you did it often enough you would soon reach the limit. Newer SSDs have a much larger limit so it's not the same problem as it was.

If you have Windows 10 then as well as optimising it will ocassionally do a defrag of SSDs.

As to your question about renewing your licence - if you don't renew then you will lose your priority access to the support team and lose automatic updates, (when was defraggler last updated?), but everything else should work as it does now.

Hi

Firstly many thanks for your reply.

To clarify I had previously read the official Defraggler guidance and this is what caused me confusion regarding using the Optimise function on my SSD.  I was under the impression that I wouldn't receive the 'zero-fills' message since my hard drive is new enough that 'TRIM' could be used instead.

As I say perhaps I've entirely misunderstood but to confirm I do use Windows 10 and so therefore is it safe to optimise my SSD and an occasional defrag as well?

I have Defraggler 2.22.995 which would appear to be the latest version.

Thanks again

• Moderators
2 hours ago, elnorte said:

As I say perhaps I've entirely misunderstood but to confirm I do use Windows 10 and so therefore is it safe to optimise my SSD and an occasional defrag as well?

Personally with an SSD I'd just let Windows handle it, for a more in-depth answer about defragging SSDs try reading this:
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 02/01/2020 at 16:22, nukecad said:

Personally with an SSD I'd just let Windows handle it, for a more in-depth answer about defragging SSDs try reading this:
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Been caught up with too many things these last few days.

Many thanks for linking the article and explaining the automatic Windows process for regular optimisation of SSDs.  It was this basic point that I was initially unaware of and I shall follow your advice going forward.

Thanks again