Is this time frame normal?

WhyYesHello

I’ve currently been running a deepscan to recover an entire HDD

I began this process through a USB which has undoubtedly prolonged it

I am currently “analyzing damage,” at 63% with eighteen days until estimated finish time

The timer has been increasing since the beginning however, and I’ve been at 63% for around thirty-three days

Is this indicative of encrypted files that cannot be recovered?

I used to have Truecrypt mediums, and never properly disposed of them

I wonder if the analyzing process is completely stalled as a result of being incapable of grabbing these encrypted files

• Moderators

I've only had experience with relatively small drives, 500 gb and under, and a deep scan takes about 45 mins at the most. Some people do experience very long scan times, and yours seems exceptionally long. I have no idea what the cause is, or what Recuva is trying to do.

I usually cancel at stage two and I have never found any detrimental effect, the files found are still displayed. You may wish to try that.

I also have Truecrypt containers and they do not slow processing down. To Recuva they are files with a name and a cluster allocation, just like any other file. There is no indication to anyone that they are encrypted.

USB access will probably slow things down a little, but a month is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahaha! I thank you for your response, and I apologize for the time between yours and my own!

But, you know...I was going to wait until fifty days had passed, just to really ensure there was nothing to be done. 

But then, the quantum matrix told me a really good joke; the joke, if you’re curious, was “what if your power surged and you lost absolutely all of your progress, lol?”

And then, as is the nature of quantum mechanics, it had actually just happened and wasn’t a joke, and my insides began to hemorrhage uncontrollably, as every cell in my body screeched in rage. 

I suppose I’ll just let a day pass, this time, then cancel it at 63%. 

I’ll never know if this lost me anything, or if I should have canceled past day one in the first place; but whether it did or not...well, my irrecoverable time will be missed. 

To clarify, I don’t blame the program...I’m just quite. Something. Agitated. 

Sorry to end this on such an unfortunate note. 

Thank you again for replying. 

Edited by WhyYesHello