Recovered WMV video files will not play

hector lopez

Hello all, I recently purchased the Recuva app and it works really well. My issue is this, some of the videos that I have recovered (all are WMV) will not play and some will. I have noticed that on some the video comes up with a thumbnail of a music note icon. It keeps giving me "cannot open because the codec might be wrong or corrupted file". Either way I have changed the open with to VLC and it won't  play either. I have checked my codec and it seems up to date. Any help is greatly appreciated. My windows media player is working and up to date, so my guess it that even thought the video is recovered correctly from a flash drive, it might be corrupted and the file with not open. I am not a savy person on the pc but I try. Thanks all .

• Moderators

Chances are very good that the files that won’t play have become corrupted.

why did you need Recuva?

how were the file deleted?  And for how long?

in other words, system activity greatly effects file recovery chances.  You need to be really lucky for file recovery software to be successful.

your only 100% chance of file recovery is to do personal backups - do you have any that you can recover from?

have you tried other media playing software, some may be able to get around the file corruption but I think you are in for more bad news.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for the reponse. the files were on an old flash drive that I found at home and I was sure to have videos in it. Could be that it had been used or all data was removed before. I am glad that I got some of the files, they are great but as you said, long time and maybe overwrite caused the issue. I thank you again, have a great day.