CCleaner starts at startup of my PC slowing it down.

Joe Lemire

• Moderators

Be more specific, what boxes have you unchecked.

I'll cut to the chase though, the "run at startup" checkmark does not do what it sounds like. It tells ccleaner to run a clean at start-up. 

To stop ccleaner loading with windows, turn off smart monitoring.

Edit: I've moved this to the ccleaner help board as this is not a bug

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Joe Lemire said:

I have unchecked the "Run at startup" box.  Where might I find "smart monitoring" to turn it off, please?

Options.. Smart Cleaning.. untick the 2 boxes.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

please take a look:

ccleaner -> tools -> startup

tab windows -> is there any ccleaner entry?

tab sheduled tasks -> is there any ccleaner entry?

if yes -> select the ccleaner entry -> look on the right side -> disable or delete

ccleaner_autostart trotz deaktivierte smartscreen u autostart_rot.jpg

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Big thank you to Truim.  Very clear, although after following your instructions: 

ccleaner -> tools -> startup                                                                                              done

tab windows -> is there any ccleaner entry?                                                                none

tab sheduled tasks -> is there any ccleaner entry?                                                     one

if yes -> select the ccleaner entry -> look on the right side -> disable or delete    deleted

Result:  After restart CCleaner still starts at system load.

• Moderators

You should have Disabled and not Deleted.

The wording in CCleaner is confusing - Delete on that screen just removes it from the list in CCleaner, it doesn't stop it running at start up.

You will now need to use the Windows task scheduler to stop it from running at startup. (Or uninstall/reinstall CCleaner so it shows in the list again).

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't give full instructions on how to do that. Try googling 'remove items from Windows start up' or someone else may be along to give help.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

it sounds like ...

1.) you have the free version with manually sheduled task <- but with deleted entry it should not work anymore (done)

2.) have you the pro-version? (are you an user with admin-privilegs on your pc?)

perhaps another way/suggestion to solve the problem: (as nukecad say)

-> uninstall ccleaner -> restart your pc

- look in your harddisk/ssd and delete all leftovers - as the install-folder of ccleaner if its still on your harddisk.

- reinstall your ccleaner (if you have the pro-version- enter your registration)

- after reinstall -> look in ccleaner if unchecked all kind of boxes as:

-> options -> settings -> "run ccleaner when the computer starts"

-> options -> sheduling -> disabled (only in the pro-version)

-> options -> smart cleaning -> the 2 options (in the free) - the 3 options (in the pro-version)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

On 10/01/2020 at 18:13, nukecad said:

You should have Disabled and not Deleted.

The wording in CCleaner is confusing - Delete on that screen just removes it from the list in CCleaner, it doesn't stop it running at start up.

You will now need to use the Windows task scheduler to stop it from running at startup. (Or uninstall/reinstall CCleaner so it shows in the list again).

yes, nukecad have right -> sorry for my mistake...

I want to thank Nergal, hazelnut, trium; and nucad  for your aid.  Unfortunately, none of these instructions have resolved the issue.  trium, I have the free version.  Hopefully, it will be a simple fix.  I have completed each of the instructions to no avail.

• Moderators

Perhaps try this Joe.

Right-click on the taskbar on your machine.

Select TaskManager.

When it opens select the 'start-up tab' at the top (If you nothing when the taskmanager opens select more details at the bottom)

If you see ccleaner there click on it once to highlight it and then select (Disable' from bottom right.

Close the taskmanager and then Restart your machine. Make sure you select restart and not shutdown.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Joe Lemire said:

Thank you Sir, but that has disabled because you told me to do that process already.

Disabling it means that it will not run at startup.
Isn't that what you wanted to do?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

hello joe lemire,

either: (the simple way)

On 11/01/2020 at 23:32, trium said:

reinstall CCleaner so it shows in the list again).

reinstall ccleaner and after this please take a look:

ccleaner -> tools -> startup

tab windows -> is there any ccleaner entry?

tab sheduled tasks -> is there any ccleaner entry? <-------------------------------------- there was one entry by you

if yes -> select the ccleaner entry -> look on the right side -> disable (not delete - sorry for my wrong comment above for a while)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

or:

On 11/01/2020 at 23:32, trium said:

You will now need to use the Windows task scheduler to stop it from running at startup

i dont know how the windows-options named exactly in english - i can only derive it from german windows...

windows -> control panel -> administrative tools -> task scheduler

or perhaps

windows -> control panel -> system and security -> administration -> subitem (plan tasks)

go to the entry you mean (ccleaner...) -> look on the right side of windows scheduler -> delete it (do not confuse with ccleaner)

1633426007_ccleanerwindowsscheduler_1.JPG.63ec3e1fc4da688b82d38a277718b769.JPG

917298802_ccleanerwindowsscheduler_2.thumb.JPG.ac21dcd03a7b9062d926dc13415851b4.JPG