CCleaner Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
david88446

CCleaner corrupting Office 365 Intsallation

I have been using CCleaner Free for many years now and am currently using version 5.63.7540 (64 bit)   I have now had three occurrences on 2 different PC's where running Custom Clean and then Registry Clean has corrupted my Office 365 installation stopping it from starting up.  The error message is about a corrupted dll file.  In order to fix the problem I have had to do an online repair on Office 365 to reinstall it.  In teh settings I do not have any Office versions included in the Clean, only MS OneDrive.  Doing an Analyse run does not show any office related files for deletion.

I am not sure if this is caused by the Custom Clean or the Registry Clean and am reluctant to try again because of the time spent to repair my Office installation.  

Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

Edited by david88446
Additional info

It's probably the Registry Cleaner, you should not use it on a regular basis and especially not if you have Windows 10.

Here is what Microsoft have to say about the potential for registry cleaners to break your machine:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

The Microsoft Office 365 corruption problem is caused by the cleaning action -- not the registry cleaner.  See the many entries in the forum posting under "Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]."  So far there has been no resolution of the problem -- Ccleaner's cleaning action corrupted my Microsoft Office 365 yet again only a few minutes ago.  I've now disabled Ccleaner on my PC until Piriform announces a fix.