Loss of data

putnik

I posted on this forum in March but only got some facetious answer I hope you will take this post really seriously, because it is...

I was copying my files to a CD but the total size was larger than the disk could take so I deleted the "temporary files waitng to be copied" ... Then I used CCleaner in secure delete mode and emptied the recycle bin... (It took a long time for overwriting 900Mb of data, but supposed they were temporary file copies in the recycle bin).... The next thing I find is that ALL MY FILES in the "My Documents" folder have been filled with zeros etc... It could be missed for a while since the file sizes do not change, they are just full of rubbish.

I have CCleaner version 130.310 and Windows XP SP2 fully up-to-date on a Sony VGN-S5M/S laptop...

I now don't trust CCleaner if it is likely to destroy normal file data. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

I posted on this forum in March but only got some facetious answer I hope you will take this post really seriously, because it is...

I was copying my files to a CD but the total size was larger than the disk could take so I deleted the "temporary files waitng to be copied" ... Then I used CCleaner in secure delete mode and emptied the recycle bin... (It took a long time for overwriting 900Mb of data, but supposed they were temporary file copies in the recycle bin).... The next thing I find is that ALL MY FILES in the "My Documents" folder have been filled with zeros etc... It could be missed for a while since the file sizes do not change, they are just full of rubbish.

I have CCleaner version 130.310 and Windows XP SP2 fully up-to-date on a Sony VGN-S5M/S laptop...

I now don't trust CCleaner if it is likely to destroy normal file data. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Sounds as if you may have a corrupeted system font

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Sounds as if you may have a corrupeted system font

I presume that the system font affects everything on the computer, not just "My Documents"... Also, I had backup on another CD which copied back to the computer ok:)

So I think fonts have nothing to do with it and "secure delete" has overwritten my data files.