Speccy Flagged On Virustotal (3 engines)

Michael88

I like using Speccy and have recently purchased a Windows 10 computer. I downloaded the free windows  version from the official site but Virustotal has it flagged by three engines , two as trojans and one as a bundled toolbar. Therefore I cannot instal Speccy until this matter is sorted. ****You should not be thinking about developing a new version of Speccy before you can get the existing version right.**** Please reply as I do like Speccy.

• Admin

Assuming that you downloaded Speccy from www.ccleaner.com you're okay.  This is not new.  eset has been flagging it for years because of the Chrome toolbar offer that sometimes appears in the installer.  We removed that from CCleaner a few months back but it is still in Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy for the time being.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

You did not answer my question.

On Virustotal TWO engines are reporting Speccy installer as a TROJAN, This is nothing like the chrome toolbar or whatever. I am talking about TROJANS. It is up to you to liase with the relevant antivirus companies to get them to remove the wording.

• Moderators

It's something you see with a lot of software on Virus Total. (Not just Speccy).

There are nearly alway one or two of the engines that report false positives, the other 65 (including all the 'big boys' report it as clean.

It's usually the same 2 or 3 engines that report FPs. Either they are too being cautious, their definitions are not updated often enough, or they are simply poorly written, make your own mind up which.

Most regular VT users would not be bothered about 2/67 flagging an item, especially when it's those particular AVs that are throwing the flags.

In my opinion, and I'm not the only one, those particular AVs should be removed from the VT listings. I, and others, suspect that they may be doing it deliberately so they can claim that they 'find more' than major AVs.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nukecad said:

they may be doing it deliberately so they can claim that they 'find more' than major AVs.

Leaving ESET out of the discussion because this forum knows why they flag the installers. There's usually a few particular av engines on VT that flag allot of legitimate software. And yes if those av's are creating too many false positives they should probably be removed. I simply ignore the results from av engines that are known to produce too many false positives but since VT uses them it can cause people to not install software that's being falsely detected.