Ccleaner- recent version

greta23

I have a problem. When I launch CCleaner.exe I get an error message: "The instruction at 0x7714b746 referred to the memory at 0xffffffff. Impossible to carry out a memory measure. The following error was returned: The memory could not be read.

Press enter if you want to end the program."

Anyone - please?

• Moderators

That looks like a memory error on your particular computer, they can be hard to track down but sometimes it's just a simple case of having too much running at once.
So try the easy stuff first.

The most usual cause of such errors is that something else is using all your RAM and so leaving no memory for anything else to launch.
Browsers with a lot of tabs open? Lots of documents or a very large document open in a word processor? Game paused in the background? You get the idea - something using a lot of memory.

But firstly I would make sure that your Windows Updates are current, there have been some recent fixes for .netframework that included memory fixes.
(Settings>Update and Security>Check for Updates).

If the error happens again then right click on your taskbar and launch the Task Manager.
If it looks like this:

image.png

Then Click on 'More details' to get it looking like this, and then click at the top of the 'Memory' column to get them sorted in size order.
This one shows that Chrome is using over 2 GB of memory in 40 processes (lots of tabs open) so maybe it should be closed (or at least some of the Chrome tabs should be).

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you. I remember running registry checks in CCleaner and there seemed to be something wrong afterwards - however I did not find out how to recreate the register with my backup.

I will go through your steps and return later!

• Moderators

Ah; you had used the registry cleaner. - You should avoid using the registry cleaner, especially with Windows 10.

This is what Microsoft have to say about using registry cleaners. (They say not to do it, but if you do then it's at your own risk) :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

From what you say then you did make a backup when CCleaner registry cleaner asked you?

The backup should be in your 'Documents' folder, they are saved there by default.
It will have a name something like 'cc_20191102_020835.reg' where the numbers are the date and time it was created.
It isn't a full registry backup, only the items that CCleaner removed/changed.
To restore a registry backup you simply right-click on it and select 'Merge' from the pop up menu; that merges the backup into the main registry.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Nukecad,

After deleting quite a number of .jpg files I seem to have a working Ccleaner again. Thanks a lot for your memory hints!

I do not have the guts to recreate the items of the registry since my backup file was from Oct 05, 2019. And the CC seems to work quite fine.

So should I or shouldn't I restore the backup file?

Thank you for your kind support!!

/Greta

• Moderators

To use an old saying-

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.