CCleaner Community Forums
shoobs

can't download CC

I can't download free CCLEANER. After the security scan, CCLEANER won't download. I tried turning off my virus protection. It started when I was told an upgrade was available. I could not upgrade so I removed the CCLeaner I had and now cannot download.

It's a new version so it may take antivirus companies a few hours or perhaps up to 2 or 3 days to update their definition files to not create a "false positive."

For future reference:
You don't need to remove a previous version of CCleaner to update/upgrade to the newest version. Unless you're having a specific rare issue that requires uninstalling to do a clean/fresh install it's unnecessary. It's typically better to just install a new version over any old pre-existing version, that way all of your user selected settings will remain fully intact.

2 hours ago, Andavari said:

It's a new version so it may take antivirus companies a few hours or perhaps up to 2 or 3 days to update their definition files to not create a "false positive."

For future reference:
You don't need to remove a previous version of CCleaner to update/upgrade to the newest version. Unless you're having a specific rare issue that requires uninstalling to do a clean/fresh install it's unnecessary. It's typically better to just install a new version over any old pre-existing version, that way all of your user selected settings will remain fully intact.

Thank you very much for the reply. So are you saying I should be able to install CCleaner in a few days. Any suggestions if I can't? Should I have to turn off my Defender anti-virus to install it?

6 hours ago, shoobs said:

Thank you very much for the reply. So are you saying I should be able to install CCleaner in a few days. Any suggestions if I can't? Should I have to turn off my Defender anti-virus to install it?

Like Hazelnut stated try the Slim build, it's usually less likely to cause a false positive.

You might not have to wait a few days, personally I'd try the download again after a few hours. On my Win10 system Windows Defender didn't detect anything when I downloaded the Portable ZIP version.

Edit:
I'd recommend not turning off your antivirus protection too much else to go wrong with it off just to update a software.