offline issue

alh

I have ccleaner professional and every time I run healthcheck it says, "it looks like you're offline." Because of this the "speed" and the "security"  functions say unavailable when offline. Internet access is definitely available. How do I correct this?

• Moderators

There have been a couple of reports of this behaviour.

I would check if anything 'CCleaner' is being blocked by your firewall settings,  those two functions need to be able to connect.

We have been told by Admin in another thread that you should specifically check that the  'healthcheck.ccleaner.com' web service is allowed through the firewall.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem and have reported it but they seem to be very busy and so as yet, not yet received a fix. I was asked to check that other parts were working and that I had the up to date copy. I assume 5.63.7540 is as they say, the latest and greatest. I have tried closing  Super anti spyware, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and Avast, but still get the same result. Please let me know if anyone comes up with a fix, it would be great to speed up my computer.

Thanks. Gwyn

• Moderators

It's not that you are offline, but rather that the server could not be contacted (or timed out).
They have promised to change the message wording.
But if the server can't be reached, for whatever reason, then it's not something that can be changed in CCleaner itself because it's an internet connection problem.

For further Information:
The 'Speed' function checks for, and clears, any unnecessary items that start automatically when you turn on your computer.
You can check those yourself in Custom Clean>Tools>Startup - Of course you then need to know which you want/need and which you don't.
That's why Health Check wants to connect to the server for that function, to check what is starting on your machine against a list of needed/unneeded items.

The 'Security' function checks that (some not all of) your installed apps are up to date.
Again you can do that for yourself by using Custom Clean>Tools>Software Updater.
(But if the server is not contactable than that will still fail to connect).

If you find that Health Check cannot connect to the server but that the Custom Clean Software Updater can connect then the issue is probably your firewall settings as said above.
If neither Health Check or Software Updater can connect to the server then it's an internet connection problem.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if this is still an issue for anybody but I was having the same problem for whatever the reasons that were mentioned. So I figured I'd run it with admin compatibility mode checked and suddenly when ccleaner opened up, I was no longer offline. This may help or just be a waste, any who, cheers! 🙃

• Moderators

We cleared that issue up a while back, it was simply the wrong message being displayed.

CCleaner was connecting to the server but if it found nothing needed to be updated then it was showning the wrong message.
It's been corrected in v5.65 which will be why you are not seeing it anymore.

PS. As a different issue to note - Many programmes (not just CCleaner) are having server connection issues at the moment, the internet is under strain from everyone using it from home during the current C-19 crisis.
And Microsoft are doing some scheduled maintanance/modification of server software which is affecting many servers, unfortunate timing.

• 8 months later...

I have CCleaner Professional ver. 5.75.8238 (64 bit) on my laptop I get this error "SECURITY" "Unable to reach server". 

I've allowed CCleaner to SPECIFICALLY get through both my AV and my firewall, but I still get that error every single time, it's annoying the BLEEEEEP out of me. It most especially annoys me when this thread says that the problem was solved in ver. 5.65 yet as I put above I have ver. 5.75.8238 which I (as a programmer) would expect it to be a newer version than ver. 5.65.

I have enclosed a screenshot complete with my windows version and processor type, graphics card etc. My computer is a Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL

CCleaner.png

• Moderators

The problem that was solved in v5.56  WAS solved, it was simply an incorrect error message that was being shown to everybody, it was not a connection problem.

Yours appears to be an actual connection problem to the 'Security' server.
(I can connect to it fine from here).

From your screenshot it can be seen that you are able to reach the server for the 'Speed' database, but for some reason are not reaching the (different) server for 'Security'.

As suggested above try using Tools>Software Updater (which is the same server as Health Checks 'Security') and seeing if that can connect OK for you.

Please report back what you see with Software Updater.

I too am seeing this issue.  I had let me subscription lapse, and just decided to renew.  I installed the current PRO version, 5.75.8238, and activated my new license.

I see the same "you are offline" errors both for security in health check, and also in Tools>Software Updater.  This is upsetting because the Software Updater was the driving factor for my renewal.

Any ideas here?  I tried disabling my AV and Firewall, and added healthcheck.ccleaner.com as specifically allowed on my Router firewall. It seems like it is being blocked, so it would be really helpful to know exactly what endpoints ccleaner is trying to reach out to.

Oddly enough, I found two workarounds that worked for me.   

1st, Disable "Advanced Security" in my Eero router firewall.   This is not my favorite, as I don't like disabling security to make a product work.  Noted the domain names/IP addresses that ccleaner64 communicates with, but they seem to be connecting to a range, or at lease a few different remote endpoints.  Having the list of domains to whitelist, this would be better.

2nd, Connect to VPN.  When I connected to my PIA VPN, ccleaner was able to connect.   This is the workaround that I will likely use until ccleaner provides a list of domains that need to be allowed.

• Moderators

Good point there @GregBickel

We often tend to concentrate on what the AV/firewall on the computer is doing, sometimes overlooking the fact that there may be (probably is) a seperate second layer of protection/filtering on the router.

This is the workaround that I will likely use until ccleaner provides a list of domains that need to be allowed.

@Stephen CCleanerBack in March you offered to  provide such a domain/URL whitelist for those having issues with firewall blocks in Health Check, has it been published anywhere yet?

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/57004-health-check-unable-to-reach-server-message-fixed-in-version-565/?tab=comments#comment-315734

(I can find a domain whitelist for CCleaner Cloud, but not one for Health Check).

• Admin

From the investigations so far, the current issue seems likely to be specific to a certain piece of software that needs to be updated, but for which we may have broken update information from the publisher.  We are trawling through the list looking for potential culprits, but if anyone experiencing this issue current can go to Tools > Software Updater and provide the list of "Programs to Update" and the list of "Up-to-date Programs" this may help us narrow things down faster.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have the same problem (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, grayed out Security box - reading "Unable to reach server). The remainder of Health Check, including the Speed database, works as expected.

I went to Tools > Software Updater to see what programs were listed for your evaluation, but none were shown - so I clicked "Refresh".

CCleaner Pro responded "It seems like you're offline. Please check your Internet connection and try again." Trying a second time gave the same results.

Let us know...

Thanks!

• Admin
On 22/12/2020 at 15:30, Dave CCleaner said:

We are trawling through the list looking for potential culprits

Quick update: Found three culprit software definition entries.  Two fixed, one WIP ETA later today. I will post back shortly when it should be ready to retry.

Update 2: These have now been fixed @Mr Underhill, @GregBickel, @2Prestones: please try HealthCheck again and let us know if this resolves the problem or if there is something else afoot.

Edited by Dave CCleaner
update 2 added

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes