CC Cleaner v5.61 won't start in windows 8.1

• Admin

@piecevcake: Do you have the same problem with the new 5.62 version?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 9 months later...

I have tried several versions of cc cleaner. Same results.  I am guessing others have had this but not bothered to report it, just installed your competition.

All versions say they have installed.

I have tried uninstalling and installing fresh download. 

When click "finish" button with "open" and "release notes" box ticked, It opens the release notes page in browser, cc cleaner appears in task manager processes but does not load on monitor or show in the taskbar.  It shows in control panel as installed. No size is shown in the programs and features "size" column.

When click the exe a second time task manager shows 2 instances but no message or application windows appear on screen or taskbar.

16 gb ram, 4 core, 11% CPU used. 1 TB hard drive, 250+Gb available.

Curiously, task manager describes the process as 32 bit but compatibility troubleshooter says "CCleaner64" (run as administrator)

I have run scandisk did not fix.  Have had no problems like this with any other software installations between cc cleaner attempts.

After troubleshooter, tried rightclick run as admin, now not even showing in task manager.

No AV except windows defender.

When I uninstalled the previous version today the uninstall window said 'tech version' or something.

Just tried downloading portable from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds, extracted, clicked CCleaner64.exe, it showed in task manager, clicked yes on UAC,   then it disappeared from task manager. Nothing except the UAC appeared on screen or taskbar.

• Moderators

Can you try an uninstall with a RESTART of your machine afterwards.

Do you have any problems like this with any other software?

What other security type software do you run apart from Windows Defender?

Have you altered any settings in Windows Defender?

What happens if you do an install of the Slim Build and don't put a tick in 'release notes' box? (It's last in the list on the Builds page)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Admin
23 hours ago, piecevcake said:

When I uninstalled the previous version today the uninstall window said 'tech version' or something.

That would be a concern.  Were you having this issues before or after you had a the Technician Edition installed?  As the Technician Edition is not generally publicly available (it's a special paid licence for IT technicians doing breakfix on multiple computers) I would be concerned if, as you were trying to find a solution, you may have downloaded something from some other site that may or may not be the genuine article.  

Either way, with the various install attempts, is there anything left behind in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner directory that may be causing an obstruction?

Also:

• Did you have any problems with older versions of CCleaner prior to 5.61?  Have you trying reinstalling any of those older versions recently?
  • Windows 8 was never as popular as Windows 7, but we do have a few million Windows 8 and 8.1 users actively using CCleaner 5.61 and up
Edited by Dave CCleaner
additional notes added

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes