Windows 10 1909

hazelnut

• Moderators
7 hours ago, crizal said:

Since everything's working, just ignore it and see what the next Feature Update does.

That's what I've been doing with the two errors it always shows for me. Although it's strange to see consistent errors about the same things yet they work without any noticeable issues, no crashing, no freezing, no BSOD, etc.

5 hours ago, Andavari said:

That's what I've been doing with the two errors it always shows for me. Although it's strange to see consistent errors about the same things yet they work without any noticeable issues, no crashing, no freezing, no BSOD, etc.

This is precisely what makes this issue so frustrating  --  is it really a problem when everything works?  I suppose time will tell.

• Moderators

I sometimes wonder if it's just a timing error, like something taking longer to perform a task causing it. don't know off hand.

Kind of reminds me of Firefox Portable running from slow media like an IDE hard disk on an old OS like WinXP (or even a commodity low-end USB stick running slowly in a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port), where it will warn something is taking too long as if it were so critical to show the end-user some form of error, yet if it just waited a few seconds instead of warning it would be non-issue since whatever it's loading will eventual load.

• Moderators

I'd also suspect that is the probable explanation.

It's taking too long to complete a task and so times out with an error, then it immediately tries again and completes sucessfully - which is why the system then runs normally.

Of course that still doesn't explain just why it's taking too long and timing out in the first instance.
Possibly background tasks loading at startup? Try Settings>Apps>Startup to turn them off?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@Andavari, @nukecad -- Sorry for delayed response.  I just finished doing another experiment.  I did another clean install of Win 10 1909 (getting very good at this) and something did change very recently and it could've been something Microsoft did (perhaps getting ready for 2003?) …..

1.  The first update to 1909 was from 1903 via Windows Update.  Everything worked for 4 days, then the Runtime error started.

2.  Did clean install of 1909.  Runtime error started exactly 2 weeks later.

3.  Just completed another clean install of 1909 and Runtime error started immediately.

There is obviously something in 1909 that doesn't like my computer or it could be something in my computer doesn't agree with 1909.  Why there was a delay in it showing up and now it's immediate tells me something is different "under the hood".  I'm going to let it go and see if Cumulative Updates remedy the situation, or, wait for 2003 to come out.  In any event, computer's working fine so while there's a mystery -- it's not hurting anything.

• Moderators

Have you tried reposting this on tenforums.com?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

14 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Have you tried reposting this on tenforums.com?

Sure have.  There've been a few suggestions and ideas but nothing that's worked.  Seems to be a very obscure issue.  Including myself, I know of only five people experiencing this and I did report it to MS on the Feedback Hub -- no responses.  MS support has been pretty lame on many levels.

BTW -- computer will be 4 years old in March.  Came with Win 10 1511 and has never had any major issue through 1903 which worked flawlessly.  1909 is essentially 1903 on steroids -- they both get the same updates.  That's the puzzle -- what changed in 1909 to trigger this error ……….

• Moderators
8 hours ago, crizal said:

(perhaps getting ready for 2003?) …..

LOL. - They're only 16 years too late.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Yes, I knew what you meant - it's just struck me as funnier to look at it the other way.

Maybe they should number next years feature updates as 20-3 and 20-9 (or just stick with 20H1 and 20H2).

@hazelnut, @Andavari, @nukecad, @Nergal -- informative update regarding the Runtime error.  It's hitting a small number of machines on Win 10 1909.  The cause has something to do with 1909, Control Panel and Cortana.  It's actually the Control Panel setting the error when Reliability History is checked.  The error also appears if you go to a different category in the CP.  There are two workarounds.  The first has a 100% success rate -- the second may or may not work.

1.  Go to Control Panel and change the view from category to icons.  Right click the icon topics you want to open and pin each one to the start menu.  Close Control Panel.  Run CCleaner to remove the errors from Reliability History.  Open the appropriate icon from the start menu.  It will directly go to that section in Control Panel and no errors will be generated.  To properly check Reliability History, the Security and Maintenance icon must be pinned to the start menu and opened from there.

2.  At least one user found a solution by uninstalling, reinstalling and re-registering Cortana using Powershell.  That may be beyond the ability of a typical user.

The following link from TenForums explains it all and it's good reading.  If this link is against this forum's policy, I apologize and please remove it.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/145996-runtime-errors.html

Next up is to get Microsoft involved.

• Moderators

FYI: Your link is fine since it's not for a competing product against CCleaner. Good investigating!

I wasn't getting that Runtime Broker error since I've had the Control Panel display as icons (since it's easier to find things that way) ever since I bought my laptop.

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

FYI: Your link is fine since it's not for a competing product against CCleaner. Good investigating!

I wasn't getting that Runtime Broker error since I've had the Control Panel display as icons (since it's easier to find things that way) ever since I bought my laptop.

Now this is really embarrassingly simple -- especially after troubleshooting for three weeks.  The entire issue, at least on my machine, was caused by Control Panel being in category view.  @Andavari you gave me an idea.  All I had to do was change the CP view from category to either small or large icons.  Don't even need to pin anything to start menu.  Just go to CP in the usual way through search and be greeted by icon view and not category view -- no errors.

For me, finally, case closed!  😊

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Andavari said:

Same here. Always had icons and no Runtime Broker errors.

At least  @crizal you can enjoy Xmas now (make sure Santa is not in category view!!)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

11 hours ago, Andavari said:

5 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Same here. Always had icons and no Runtime Broker errors.

At least  @crizal you can enjoy Xmas now (make sure Santa is not in category view!!)

After every Win 10 reinstall or repair install, Control Panel was always in category view by default on my system and I never gave it a second thought.  At least now that the cause and workarounds are known, hopefully others who have this issue can solve it easily.  

Happy holidays to all and Santa is in icon view.  🤣

• Moderators

When Microsoft Edge reaches general availability in January, Microsoft has stated that the browser will automatically be installed on Windows 10 devices via Windows Update.

On January 15th, 2020, Microsoft plans on officially releasing the new Microsoft Edge browser and has decided to push it out via Windows Update rather than having it be a manual download.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-block-windows-10-update-force-installing-the-new-edge-browser/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi @hazelnut -- the link in your post above pretty much echoes what was posted on TenForums today.  In the following thread, I posted a question to @Stephen CCleaner regarding the Edge pre-loading registry fix (for the current browser) as to whether it'll be needed in the new chromium Edge.  Link is in this thread:  https://forum.piriform.com/topic/56335-solution-ccleaner-cannot-fully-clean-microsoft-edge-due-to-pre-loading/?tab=comments#comment-313516

BTW -- runtime error is gone and has not returned, so long as 'category' view is not used for Control Panel.  Let's hope MS doesn't mess the new Edge install or the next feature update.  😟

• Moderators

On January 15th, 2020, Microsoft plans on officially releasing the new Microsoft Edge browser and has decided to push it out via Windows Update rather than having it be a manual download.

What's the betting that the update will also (try to) override your current default setting and make Edge Chrome the default browser?

Maybe MS have learned that doing things like that annoys users, but.....

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

What's the betting that the update will also (try to) override your current default setting and make Edge Chrome the default browser?

Maybe MS have learned that doing things like that annoys users, but.....

It wouldn't surprise me.  Some of the feature as well as cumulative updates change user settings and MS likes their stuff as the default.  Luckily, we're still able to change things to our liking -- for now.  An entire other story if that ever changes.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, hazelnut said:

Today Microsoft broke the search menu for all Win 10 users.

Both searches are still working fine here on my 1909, and I'm fully up to date with even last weeks optional installed.
That may be because I disabled/suspended Cortana long ago. (And don't have a MS account).

• Moderators

My search box works (the one that's supposed to be Cortana but I turned her off so it's just an old school search).

Now what's still broken is for instance go into your Documents folder, now the search in there that they supposedly fixed so we could right click in the search box is still broken after they supposedly fixed it with that optional update seen in Automatic Updates - don't care though since I never right click in search anyways. Scratch that, now it's working today. Gonna need to play around with Linux Mint again and see if I can ditch Windows or not.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Andavari said:

My search box works (the one that's supposed to be Cortana but I turned her off so it's just an old school search).

The issue does seem to be linked to Cortana, if it's disabled then your search still works.

PS. I don't use the searchbox anymore and got rid of that from the taskbar as well.
Simply opening the Win10 start menu and typing does the job.