Can't uninstall CCleaner.

Sniktbub

• Moderators

Open Task Manager and EndTask any running CCleaner processes, then try the uninstall again.

If that doesn't help perhaps uninstalling it by a different more robust means will work with either of the two freeware uninstallers linked below. Both do the same task by scanning for leftover files, folders, registry settings, and remove as much as they can. You may need to restart your computer after using them.
* Geek Uninstaller Free
* Revo Uninstaller Free

On 11/09/2019 at 07:04, Andavari said:

Open Task Manager and EndTask any running CCleaner processes, then try the uninstall again.

If that doesn't help perhaps uninstalling it by a different more robust means will work with either of the two freeware uninstallers linked below. Both do the same task by scanning for leftover files, folders, registry settings, and remove as much as they can. You may need to restart your computer after using them.
* Geek Uninstaller Free
* Revo Uninstaller Free

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, Andavari.

No luck with the task manager.

I was familiar with Revo. Unfortunately, neither Geek nor Revo uninstallers managed to fix the error. They do find some remaining files (I doubt they find all of them, though) and they do appear to remove them, but once I download CCleaner from its site again, install it and try to run the uninstaller, I'm getting the same NSIS error.

Should I go back to some older versions of CCleaner? Or that won't solve anything?

I'm lost here. Don't recall having such trouble with uninstalling CCleaner ever before.

• Admin

Have you tried using CCleaner itself to uninstall CCleaner (under Tools > Uninstall in the CCleaner console)?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

3 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Have you tried using CCleaner itself to uninstall CCleaner (under Tools > Uninstall in the CCleaner console)?

Yes, I have.

It's giving me the same error.

2 hours ago, Andavari said:

Might help to mention what operating system you're using, and if you have administrator privileges on the account you're using - that's about all else I can think about at the moment.

XP SP 3.

So... quite ancient, I realize that. 

But this is the first time I'm having trouble uninstalling CCleaner (I've been using it for years on many operating systems) - and as far as I know, Piriform still makes sure their products are fully compatible with XP.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Sniktbub said:

Piriform still makes sure their products are fully compatible with XP.

While Piriform products are still compatible with good ole charished XP SP3, that might not necessarily be the same for the NSIS installer/uninstaller they use.

With the way CCleaner installs which is minimal by my books by not creating a bunch of stuff all over the system in files and registry settings I'd be rather confident in the abilities of both Geek Uninstaller Free and especially Revo Uninstaller Free removing it after a reboot in case Smart Cleaning ("used to be called Monitoring") is enabled in CCleaner -- even though the default built-in NSIS uninstaller is failing.

I thought not too long ago someone else reported a failure of it uninstalling, can't seem to find that topic. Maybe the uninstall failure has something to do with Smart Cleaning if it's enabled on the system, since it causes so many failures to merely update/upgrade CCleaner with it running resident in the background.

4 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Have you tried running CCleaner uninstaller with Bullguard turned off?

Only with its security level set to the minimal.

You might be onto something here... I'm going to uninstall it in a few days.

3 hours ago, Andavari said:

While Piriform products are still compatible with good ole charished XP SP3, that might not necessarily be the same for the NSIS installer/uninstaller they use.

With the way CCleaner installs which is minimal by my books by not creating a bunch of stuff all over the system in files and registry settings I'd be rather confident in the abilities of both Geek Uninstaller Free and especially Revo Uninstaller Free removing it after a reboot in case Smart Cleaning ("used to be called Monitoring") is enabled in CCleaner -- even though the default built-in NSIS uninstaller is failing.

I thought not too long ago someone else reported a failure of it uninstalling, can't seem to find that topic. Maybe the uninstall failure has something to do with Smart Cleaning if it's enabled on the system, since it causes so many failures to merely update/upgrade CCleaner with it running resident in the background.

I see.

Yeah, Revo seems better.

Thanks for letting me know, I may look for the thread later.

--
Major update: I managed to fix the problem by reverting to the old version - build v5.59.7230.

Guest Ben CCleaner

In v5.60 we upgraded to a newer version of Visual Studio, this appears to have caused some compatibility issues with XP however, they only appear to be related to the newer installer UI.

If you do want the latest version of CCleaner you can install it successfully on XP with the Slim version of the installer, this can be found here - https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

On 16/09/2019 at 15:30, Ben CCleaner said:

In v5.60 we upgraded to a newer version of Visual Studio, this appears to have caused some compatibility issues with XP however, they only appear to be related to the newer installer UI.

If you do want the latest version of CCleaner you can install it successfully on XP with the Slim version of the installer, this can be found here - https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Thank you, it worked like a charm.

• 3 months later...

Same "NSIS error launching installer" problem (for version 5.63.7540). Happened on two venerable XP SP3 machines (which we still use for regression tests of software we write).

Arrived at a hack-fest solution, based on longstanding fact that CCleaner install overwrites existing installed version (even  unfortunate versions, released after AVAST began butchering it). If your luck is as good as ours, this works even if you install an older version.

Reinstalled 5.55.7108 on top of 5.63.7540 (we keep at least one Ccleaner version going back). Then could use Add or Remove Programs (one of the offending XP machines) or, indeed, CCleaner 5.55.7108 (the other offending XP machine) to uninstall resp. remove CCleaner 5.55.7108. Upon reboot, doublecheck for orphaned copies of CCleaner.exe and CCUpdate.exe in your master volume (typically, drive C:). I deleted 'em both, on both XP machines. Too bad that AVAST has spoiled what used to be a nice utility. As far as my shop is concerned, CCleaner is consigned to the dustbin.

Q.v. this recommendation agsainst any version post 5.45 https://betanews.com/2018/08/01/do-not-install-the-latest-version-of-ccleaner/

• 4 years later...