lost files

Tombo

Evening everyone.

Recently, I made a rather stupid mistake. I accidentially put a Windows 10 Image on my external storage hard drive - when I planned to put it on my USB stick.

So then I had to format my disk to get the full space again, and then slowly realized that a lot of stuff is gone. I could recover almost all of it - except for TWO .txt files which contain rather important stuff. They were in the same folder as some pictures, which could be recovered completely by Recuva, but after several deepscan attempts, I still can't manage to revocer those two .txt files.

Does someone have any idea why this is the case? Am I doing something wrong? Is there any hope for me to get those two .txt files back? 

Kind regards

• mta changed the title to lost files
  • Moderators

Deep scan will not find text files as they do not have a file signature thus the scan can't identify them as files. A normal scan (which runs before the deep scan) can find them (if the MFT record still exists) as it scans the MFT and the MFT holds the file name and cluster addresses of all files on the drive. If the text files aren't being picked up by the normal scan then there's little hope of retrieving them.

Well alright, normal scan returns nothing, deepscan is unable to find the files. Bad luck I guess. Luckily I got my pictures. Thanks anyway

Edit: Lessons learned, never save important data in a txt file ^^

Edited by Tombo