Hold off installing KB4512941 for Windows 10 v1903

Andavari

• Moderators
5 hours ago, hazelnut said:

According to MS it affects "a small number of users" and is "only encountered on devices in which searching the web from Windows Desktop Search has been disabled."

Do they not look at the reports on the web?
(We know they didn't look at the many reports of the issue from their own insider programme).

I suppose it depends on what you consider a small number.
MS say Win 10 is now on 800 million machines.
1% of 800 million Win 10 users is a small percentage, but it's still 8 million people.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have gone back and forth,  three times with installing, testing, then using restore point to go back before this installed update: 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for 64-based System (KB4512941). This update is slowing down windows. After installing, I click on a short cut on desktop, it takes windows 15 seconds to start it's loading circle. My web browser is ok but my web clients are affected (Steam,Origin, Arc ect..) When I use my restore point and go back before the installed update, they work normally again. What I have not done yet is use Uninstall update in settings and bypass it, kind of don't want to do it for it's importance but afraid I will have to because it is insanely annoying.

I am currently in touch with microsoft about this issue.

O.S. is on SSD Kingson HyperX Predator 240GB with 1400MB/s read and 600MB/s write ( SMART Overview: no failures or warnings overall healthy) firmware: OC34L5TP - N/A.

it should not take 15 seconds to respond to a shortcut request.

system info:             AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core processor   4.00Ghz

Installed memory:   32.0 GB

System Type:            windows 10 64 bit (home edition)

Edited by PatrickLee66

18 hours ago, Andavari said:

Doesn't seem to matter how much oomph a PC has, and even fast SSDs (NVMe or SATA) won't help.

You're right. It is definitely this update that is causing the shortcuts to be non-responsive, It's like windows is having a brain fart for 15 seconds before it decides to finds the program to load. I got it back to running normal again by using a previous restore point and have had to paused Updates for the next week (for having home edition and can't change "automatic updates recommended" back to "choose which updates to download"). Looks like I will have to wait and hope the next update will clear this up.

Edited by PatrickLee66

• Moderators

That update doesn't automatically install though it's an optional update that is separated where the "Download and install now" text has to be clicked in order to get it. Pausing updates will mean you could miss other important updates such as those for Windows Defender if you use the built in antivirus, etc.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Andavari said:

That update doesn't automatically install though it's an optional update that is separated where the "Download and install now" text has to be clicked in order to get it. Pausing updates will mean you could miss other important updates such as those for Windows Defender if you use the built in antivirus, etc.

It's not in that seperate 'optional' section any more.

It is now included as a standard cumulative update and will download and install if/when you 'Check For Updates'.
It's also expected to be an Automatic Update for patch Tuesday, which is tomorrow.
Let's hope they've fixed/changed it by then.

It isn't downloading here simply because I have set my connection to metered. And yes as Andavari noted you can see that's also blocking a Defender definition update.
image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

It seems that MS have changed it, and now its showing a strange new bug with all screenshots becoming Orange for some users:
https://mspoweruser.com/cumulative-update-kb4512941-delivers-bizarre-new-orange-screenshots-bug/

• Moderators

For me it's still an optional update only, and separated from the "Check for updates" listed just above it. I wonder if they're perhaps testing the waters making it auto-install for some, and be an opt-in for others.

Screenshot:
Win10AutomaticUpdates09102019.png

• Moderators

For me it's still an optional update only, and separated from the "Check for updates" listed just above it. I wonder if they're perhaps testing the waters making it auto-install for some, and be an opt-in for others.

It may be due to our respective locations?

It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from Patch Tuesday in the next couple of days.

there are two simple reasons why Andavari has this update as optional 1) is when you first install windows 10 you have the choice to have updates installed automatically or pick which ones (remember when windows 10 first opens with the blue screen and says "Hi" )   2) he never installed the update that changed the "update and security" tab in settings that of which did away with updates as optional ( my guess it was "Featured update" in May 2019). As you can see this can create problems on giving advice when you don't have the exact setup as others. 

however I chose to have updates installed automatically. I like my KB files because they make old windows files run on windows 10 (I got a lot of my older games to run now on windows 10 that wouldn't run before).

I'm just upset that I spent the extra money on a SSD for my O.S. to make my O.S as fast as possible only to have Microsoft later bloat it up and slow it down. It least windows still loads with just one loading circle

Edited by PatrickLee66
spelling

• Moderators

O&O Shutup was identified early on as one of the things that would cause the issue.

PatrickLee, I think you will find what you mention there is different in Windows 10 Home and Professional (or Enterprise) versions.

The Home version does not let you pick and choose,  the Pro version does.

• Moderators

KB4515384 did fix the high CPU use issue, but brought a couple of issues of its own.

For some users 'Search' has stopped working, the Start Menu is broken, the taskbar behaves oddly, and wifi is unavailable.

On my laptop the Start menus is OK but the search has gone altogether, there are no longer flyouts for the MS items in the System Tray, and no right-click context menus for any items in the taskbar.
It will also no longer find available wifi networks, clicking 'Show available networks' does nothing - but it will connect to those already in the 'Known Network' list, and you can add new networks to that list  if you know the name/password (find them with your phone).

None of that is bad enough to stop you working, just not what is expected and a PITA.

There is a possible fix for the wifi issue here, (that didn't work for me, neither did changing the driver or uninstalling/reinstalling the wifi adapter).
Or you could uninstall the KB, the article tells you how:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-network-adapter-after-installing-update-kb4515384-windows-10

For now I'm leaving it as is until MS come up with a fix.

• Moderators

I've had Win 10 since it first came out and never really had any real problem with any updates until this one.

A few glitches and annoyances yes, and TBH (apart from the CPU high usage thing which has been fixed) even these latest glitches are an annoyance rather than any real problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just downloaded and installed the optional KB4517211 and it has cured the issue I had with no Taskbar context menus or System tray flyouts, both of those are now working again.

It has also cured the issue with finding available wifi networks.

Still no 'type to search' on the start menu though.

• Moderators

It wasn't, it was hidden. (Of course I couldn't see that before - no taskbar context menus).

However turning on the icon or even the searchbox still does nothing other than display them.
It won't even let me type anything into the searchbox.

Not a great problem, I was mainly reporting that the others had been fixed.
I'll see what happens on patch Tuesday.