CCleaner Community Forums
scoobydog

Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

V5.6.7307(64 bit)

I have had to reinstall office several times recently and I have just realised it gets messed up after I run ccleaner. Happened again just now, it didn't messup excel because I had it open at the time. All the rest rendered useless. Custom clean mode. 

Nothing special in my settings for ccleaner. Is this a known problem?

Wow!   I understand your frustration scoobydog.  I encountered the identical problem around the same time as you (and others). I'm running an old free version (v5.01.5075, 64-bit) that I went back to when I found newer versions were getting too complicated for my needs.  When the problem first occurred, I noted that the Microsoft folks had pushed out an Office 365 update just prior to that corruption of all Office programs in Office directory (can't fathom why so many folks have jumped on the shortcut angle).  I didn't rule out that something in Office 365 changed that triggered the problem.  I searched for solutions and dabbled with some ideas for a day and opted to just stop using CCleaner.

Yesterday, I caught up on this thread that you started to see if a solution had been identified... nope.  So I read up on Office 365 functionality and set out to try a few things. I won't get into why I did what I did, but can say that uninstalling the OneDrive program from the problem PC got rid of the problem.  Ran CCleaner several times after removal and there was no corruption of the Office programs executables.  I went out to Microsoft, installed the latest OneDrive program, and ran CCleaner.  No corruption problem.  If you have OneDrive installed, I suggest giving this a shot.  If it works, I can fill you in on some of the install background here that got me on the path.  Good Luck!
RC   ASQ CSQE, CQA, CBA, CQIA (retired)

38 minutes ago, Picky Number 1 said:

Wow!   I understand your frustration scoobydog.  I encountered the identical problem around the same time as you (and others). I'm running an old free version (v5.01.5075, 64-bit) that I went back to when I found newer versions were getting too complicated for my needs.  When the problem first occurred, I noted that the Microsoft folks had pushed out an Office 365 update just prior to that corruption of all Office programs in Office directory (can't fathom why so many folks have jumped on the shortcut angle).  I didn't rule out that something in Office 365 changed that triggered the problem.  I searched for solutions and dabbled with some ideas for a day and opted to just stop using CCleaner.

Yesterday, I caught up on this thread that you started to see if a solution had been identified... nope.  So I read up on Office 365 functionality and set out to try a few things. I won't get into why I did what I did, but can say that uninstalling the OneDrive program from the problem PC got rid of the problem.  Ran CCleaner several times after removal and there was no corruption of the Office programs executables.  I went out to Microsoft, installed the latest OneDrive program, and ran CCleaner.  No corruption problem.  If you have OneDrive installed, I suggest giving this a shot.  If it works, I can fill you in on some of the install background here that got me on the path.  Good Luck!
RC   ASQ CSQE, CQA, CBA, CQIA (retired)

I can try that but is it even possible to install Office 365 components individually?  Mine all installs as a bundle.

Just checked and it appears I don't have an option to uninstall One Drive individually.

Further edit:

The version of OneDrive on my machine is the latest version available for download v19.123.o624.0005

On most Windows 10 versions you can't uninstall OneDrive. The best you can do is disable it by unlinking and hiding it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Uninstall Microsoft OneDrive, Windows 10:

Select Start button
Select Settings (the gear icon)
Select Apps (Apps & features page is displayed)
Scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive, left click, select Uninstall

Thanks Picky Number1 & nukecad. I will need to take a look in the morning as the PC is now performing backups etc and can’t be disturbed. I will come to this thread tomorrow.

Your help is very much appreciated.

15 hours ago, Picky Number 1 said:

Uninstall Microsoft OneDrive, Windows 10:

Select Start button
Select Settings (the gear icon)
Select Apps (Apps & features page is displayed)
Scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive, left click, select Uninstall

Microsoft OneDrive uninstalled as per the quoted guide by Picky Number1.

Run CCleaner as before on custom scan.

Open Outlook via taskbar pinned shortcut followed by Word and Excel etc via start menu shortcuts.

:D  No problems or issues of any kind when opening Office 365 components :D

So thanks to the input of Picky Number1 my problem is fixed, thank you so very much Sir.  I have never used OneDrive and have no use for it so it's a redundant component so far as I'm concerned.  I can do without it.  Anybody else who is in the same situation follow the instructions by Picky Number1 and your problem is solved.  To Piriform you have the direction to concentrate your efforts (?)(!) in order to fix this issue for customers that do require OneDrive.  Right, I'm off to write an email :lol:

scoobydog,

As I identified in my initial input to this thread, folks who want OneDrive resident on their PC after uninstalling it can go out to Microsoft, install OneDrive, and not encounter Office executable files corruption after running CCleaner.