Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

V5.6.7307(64 bit)

I have had to reinstall office several times recently and I have just realised it gets messed up after I run ccleaner. Happened again just now, it didn't messup excel because I had it open at the time. All the rest rendered useless. Custom clean mode. 

Nothing special in my settings for ccleaner. Is this a known problem?

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

Wow!   I understand your frustration scoobydog.  I encountered the identical problem around the same time as you (and others). I'm running an old free version (v5.01.5075, 64-bit) that I went back to when I found newer versions were getting too complicated for my needs.  When the problem first occurred, I noted that the Microsoft folks had pushed out an Office 365 update just prior to that corruption of all Office programs in Office directory (can't fathom why so many folks have jumped on the shortcut angle).  I didn't rule out that something in Office 365 changed that triggered the problem.  I searched for solutions and dabbled with some ideas for a day and opted to just stop using CCleaner.

Yesterday, I caught up on this thread that you started to see if a solution had been identified... nope.  So I read up on Office 365 functionality and set out to try a few things. I won't get into why I did what I did, but can say that uninstalling the OneDrive program from the problem PC got rid of the problem.  Ran CCleaner several times after removal and there was no corruption of the Office programs executables.  I went out to Microsoft, installed the latest OneDrive program, and ran CCleaner.  No corruption problem.  If you have OneDrive installed, I suggest giving this a shot.  If it works, I can fill you in on some of the install background here that got me on the path.  Good Luck!
RC   ASQ CSQE, CQA, CBA, CQIA (retired)

38 minutes ago, Picky Number 1 said:

Wow!   I understand your frustration scoobydog.  I encountered the identical problem around the same time as you (and others). I'm running an old free version (v5.01.5075, 64-bit) that I went back to when I found newer versions were getting too complicated for my needs.  When the problem first occurred, I noted that the Microsoft folks had pushed out an Office 365 update just prior to that corruption of all Office programs in Office directory (can't fathom why so many folks have jumped on the shortcut angle).  I didn't rule out that something in Office 365 changed that triggered the problem.  I searched for solutions and dabbled with some ideas for a day and opted to just stop using CCleaner.

Yesterday, I caught up on this thread that you started to see if a solution had been identified... nope.  So I read up on Office 365 functionality and set out to try a few things. I won't get into why I did what I did, but can say that uninstalling the OneDrive program from the problem PC got rid of the problem.  Ran CCleaner several times after removal and there was no corruption of the Office programs executables.  I went out to Microsoft, installed the latest OneDrive program, and ran CCleaner.  No corruption problem.  If you have OneDrive installed, I suggest giving this a shot.  If it works, I can fill you in on some of the install background here that got me on the path.  Good Luck!
RC   ASQ CSQE, CQA, CBA, CQIA (retired)

I can try that but is it even possible to install Office 365 components individually?  Mine all installs as a bundle.

Just checked and it appears I don't have an option to uninstall One Drive individually.

Further edit:

The version of OneDrive on my machine is the latest version available for download v19.123.o624.0005

• Moderators

On most Windows 10 versions you can't uninstall OneDrive. The best you can do is disable it by unlinking and hiding it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

15 hours ago, Picky Number 1 said:

Uninstall Microsoft OneDrive, Windows 10:

Select Start button
Select Settings (the gear icon)
Select Apps (Apps & features page is displayed)
Scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive, left click, select Uninstall

Microsoft OneDrive uninstalled as per the quoted guide by Picky Number1.

Run CCleaner as before on custom scan.

Open Outlook via taskbar pinned shortcut followed by Word and Excel etc via start menu shortcuts.

:D  No problems or issues of any kind when opening Office 365 components :D

So thanks to the input of Picky Number1 my problem is fixed, thank you so very much Sir.  I have never used OneDrive and have no use for it so it's a redundant component so far as I'm concerned.  I can do without it.  Anybody else who is in the same situation follow the instructions by Picky Number1 and your problem is solved.  To Piriform you have the direction to concentrate your efforts (?)(!) in order to fix this issue for customers that do require OneDrive.  Right, I'm off to write an email :lol:

• 3 months later...

I have been having this same problem for a number of months with Office 2016 it appears to only impact Outlook and Word and corrupts the related executable files.

I am now getting very annoyed at having to reinstall Office almost every time I run CCleaner Pro and regardless if I run Easyclean or Custom Clean the problem occurs.

I have tried removing One Drive as mentioned above by Picky Number 1 and have Office unticked and greyed out under Applications - whilst the interval of the problem reoccurring is longer, it does not fix the issue.

Prior to the issue commencing, I was running a custom clean and registry clean daily for many years and no issues whatsoever.

Hi SO,

I can't advise any further than to tell you that the 'fix' by Picky Number 1 has worked for me and I've had no further problems. That said I hope I haven't put a hex on myself with that statement but all has been well here for some months now. 

I am somewhat surprised the powers that be here haven't sorted this issue by now!

Hi SO, I am still having this problem too.  I have also had it corrupt Excel as well.

My way around it is I have Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint open at the time of running ccleaner, and this has prevented the corruption happening. It of course has its own limitations on clearing recent file histories etc for these applications.

When I have  forgotten to open these before running ccleaner it occasionally again corrupts the files and needs re-installation. I have always taken One Drive off and this has never been installed whilst I have had these problems.

@scoobydog , yes I am puzzled by the lack of progress on this, I wonder it is even on the to-do list?

I am also experiencing this same Office 365 corruption - has happened 3 times on 2 PC' s now.  The only solution is an online repair (reinstall) of Office 365.   I have just posted separate post on my issue .  Like others I am not prepared to use CCleaner again until this is resolved.

I too have encountered this same problem over the past few months with locally installed Microsoft Office 365 on multiple PCs while running previous and the latest (1909) versions of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro.  I have unchecked anything relating to Office 365 on Ccleaner, but without any effect on resolving this problem.  I have been using Ccleaner forever, and this problem only started occurring with the relatively recent versions of Ccleaner.  Very frustrating to have to repair (reinstall) Office 365 so many times.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears I have spoken too soon.  I do not have OneDrive on my PC.  Ran CCleaner yesterday and unable to open Office components today (Outlook).  Have just been forced to carry out a re-installation of Microsoft Office 365.

For goodness sakes Piriform when are you going to address this issue?!

• 1 month later...

I've stopped using CCleaner on 5 different PC's (2 of mine and 3 at our historical society) because each one now corrupts Office. Come on piriform - fix this!! Was about to try removing OneNote but looks like that doesn't fix the problem anyway. 

Edited by Wheeler55

My Pro Licence is due for renewal on Monday, given that this issue has been ongoing since July 2019 when first raised and there has been no visible attempt to rectify the issue, I will not be renewing.

When I pay for software, I expect support when there is an issue, especially when it corrupts essential software like Outlook, Word and Excel.

5 hours ago, S O said:

My Pro Licence is due for renewal on Monday, given that this issue has been ongoing since July 2019 when first raised and there has been no visible attempt to rectify the issue, I will not be renewing.

When I pay for software, I expect support when there is an issue, especially when it corrupts essential software like Outlook, Word and Excel.

My licence doesn't expire until August 2020.  But rest assured I will not be renewing.  It's difficult to understand why Piriform haven't addressed this issue.  Even to the point the issue hasn't been acknowledged with assurances it's being worked on.  And yet still selling and renewing licences.  Quite disgusting really.

It looks to me as though something is seriously wrong at Piriform as there has not been a new release since Ccleaner v5.63.7540 on 15th October 2019 and usually there were updates every couple of weeks.  Maybe there is no one left there to work on this issue.  I've completely stopped using Ccleaner and am trialling alternatives now.

2 minutes ago, david88446 said:

It looks to me as though something is seriously wrong at Piriform as there has not been a new release since Ccleaner v5.63.7540 on 15th October 2019 and usually there were updates every couple of weeks.  Maybe there is no one left there to work on this issue.  I've completely stopped using Ccleaner and am trialling alternatives now.

What alternatives can you recommend?

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 16/12/2019 at 06:27, scoobydog said:

It appears I have spoken too soon.  I do not have OneDrive on my PC.  Ran CCleaner yesterday and unable to open Office components today (Outlook).  Have just been forced to carry out a re-installation of Microsoft Office 365.

For goodness sakes Piriform when are you going to address this issue?!

Hi scoobydog,

First, I apologize that this thread hasn't been picked up. We appreciate the severity of the issue and are continuing our investigation. We will be able to provide an ETA on a fix once we find the root cause. It is quite a complicated issue.

Regarding your comment above, are you completely certain OneDrive isn't installed? Have you checked the various services, tasks, etc. to be sure that no OneDrive component is running or acting on your system?

Again, my apologies. I am now receiving notifications of replies to this thread and will keep you posted.

On 20/01/2020 at 17:42, Stephen CCleaner said:

Hi scoobydog,

First, I apologize that this thread hasn't been picked up. We appreciate the severity of the issue and are continuing our investigation. We will be able to provide an ETA on a fix once we find the root cause. It is quite a complicated issue.

Regarding your comment above, are you completely certain OneDrive isn't installed? Have you checked the various services, tasks, etc. to be sure that no OneDrive component is running or acting on your system?

Again, my apologies. I am now receiving notifications of replies to this thread and will keep you posted.

The delay and inactivity on this issue which you "appreciate the severity of" is ludicrous given the length of time you have been aware of it. 

The issue and finding a solution shouldn't be too complicated in so far as you have a start point to investigate from...............what did you change in the last update?  Start there.

So far as your question re OneDrive, are you serious?  It really shouldn't matter that I do or don't have it installed.  But to answer............OneDrive is NOT installed. I have checked the various services, tasks etc and I am SURE that no OneDrive component is running or acting on my system.  OneDrive has been uninstalled and eradicated in it's entirety from my system.   In my world OneDrive does not exist as I, and others, have made perfectly clear.  As soon as my current licence expires, Ccleaner will suffer the same fate and be eradicated from this system.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
57 minutes ago, scoobydog said:

The delay and inactivity on this issue which you "appreciate the severity of" is ludicrous given the length of time you have been aware of it. 

The issue and finding a solution shouldn't be too complicated in so far as you have a start point to investigate from...............what did you change in the last update?  Start there.

So far as your question re OneDrive, are you serious?  It really shouldn't matter that I do or don't have it installed.  But to answer............OneDrive is NOT installed. I have checked the various services, tasks etc and I am SURE that no OneDrive component is running or acting on my system.  OneDrive has been uninstalled and eradicated in it's entirety from my system.   In my world OneDrive does not exist as I, and others, have made perfectly clear.  As soon as my current licence expires, Ccleaner will suffer the same fate and be eradicated from this system.

Hi scoobydog,

I understand that you are frustrated that this has not been addressed sooner, for which I do apologise, but please keep it civil.

Regarding conflicts in CCleaner's cleaning, these are typically not a result of a code change on our side, but usually because a part of Windows or the browser has changed in an update.

Thank you for your information, it's very helpful to getting the the root cause. I'll update when we have more info.