Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

• Admin

Threads merged. Note that Free and Pro do the same core cleaning - the difference is the unlocking of various additional features - and so would produce the same result.

@Manny1951 check the thread above - particularly with regards to if it is just the shortcuts that have been removed after a clean. If that's not it, see my instructions how how to get a dump of everything that CCleaner proposes to clean in its analysis and DM it to me and I can get the devs to check what might be going on.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to Office 16/Office 365 corrupted after using CCleaner
1 hour ago, Manny1951 said:

I've confirmed that CCleaner PRO does corrupt OFFICE 2016 and thus I had to do a reinstall of OFFICE 2016.  I've run CCLEANER pro and then clicked on OFFICE 2016 products and sure enough, files were corrupted.  Did reinstall of OFFICE 2016,,,,,,,,,ensured the office products were all shut down, ran ccleaner pro again, and once again files were corrupted.  Not using CCleaner PRO until i'm told there's a fix for this issue.

I’m not for a moment going to say I’m glad this is happening to you.  I will say however I’m relieved that I’m not imagining things and losing my marbles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 14:27, Dave CCleaner said:

Interesting issue.  The CCleaner team all use Office and have yet to brick themselves.  If you run an analysis first with Office checked (would be under Custom Clean > Applications > Applications) ...

image.png

... and then right-click "View all Files" you should see a list of cache and temp files and some recent file LNKs - but nothing mission critical.

Under Custom Clean > Windows > System, do you have "Start Menu Shortcuts" and "Desktop Shortcuts" unchecked? Might not be the install itself at (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\outlook.exe) but just the shortcuts being mangled?

image.png

I have done as requested and messaged you directly.

1 hour ago, scoobydog said:

Is anybody here reading these bug reports? ...

I'm not from Piriform, but I checked your log.txt. CC doesn't actually remove anything that could cause this problem. Only log files and temporary files are removed.

But I have noticed that it removes shortcuts from your desktop ("C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\XXX.url"), so it seems that you have not unchecked the "Desktop Shortcuts" rule. Please make sure that you have unchecked this rule and also the "Start Menu Shortcuts" rule (as Dave CCleaner already mentioned).

The error message shows that only the shortcut in the taskbar is corrupted, not Office itself. Doesn't it work to start Office using one of the shortcuts in the start menu?

Edit: You can ignore what I wrote about the desktop shortcuts. They were in the recycle bin. Sorry! :D

Edited by APMichael

1 hour ago, APMichael said:

I'm not from Piriform, but I checked your log.txt. CC doesn't actually remove anything that could cause this problem. Only log files and temporary files are removed.

But I have noticed that it removes shortcuts from your desktop ("C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\XXX.url"), so it seems that you have not unchecked the "Desktop Shortcuts" rule. Please make sure that you have unchecked this rule and also the "Start Menu Shortcuts" rule (as Dave CCleaner already mentioned).

The error message shows that only the shortcut in the taskbar is corrupted, not Office itself. Doesn't it work to start Office using one of the shortcuts in the start menu?

Edit: You can ignore what I wrote about the desktop shortcuts. They were in the recycle bin. Sorry! :D

Thanks APMichael  but..................................... "Desktop Shortcuts"  and "Start Menu Shortcuts" rules (as Dave CCleaner already mentioned) are unchecked. Also no Office products are checked so I fail to see why CCleaner is corrupting Office.  No it doesn't work to start Office using one of the shortcuts in the start menu.  I get the very same error message trying that as I get from using the taskbar shortcut.

If  CC doesn't actually remove anything that could cause this problem why is it actually causing this problem?  Because it is indeed causing this problem.   I'm not alone in this experience and the only answer is to reinstall Office after using CCleaner.

Edited by scoobydog

Ok, all shortcuts are corrupted and that only happens with CC Pro. So it seems that it should be related to one of the Pro features.

What is your setting for "Users" (Options > Users): Current user only, All users, or Selected users? If it is one of the last two, can you please try "Current user only"? This would be the only Pro feature that would come to my mind about the problem.

2 minutes ago, APMichael said:

Ok, all shortcuts are corrupted and that only happens with CC Pro. So it seems that it should be related to one of the Pro features.

What is your setting for "Users" (Options > Users): Current user only, All users, or Selected users? If it is one of the last two, can you please try "Current user only"? This would be the only Pro feature that would come to my mind about the problem.

It is and always has been set to "Current user only".

Just now, APMichael said:

Very strange! Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas anymore. :( Then only Piriform can help...

It's strange right enough.  APMichael I very much appreciate your help.  Indeed it would be nice if Piriform were able to help.  Hence my question earlier asking if anybody reads these bug reports.  It appears Piriform don't!

• Admin

There does not seem to be anything in the list there of any importance, but I will pass it up to the experts for a second opinion.

One thing I did notice though is that you had enabled secure file deletion.  While this should not make a difference, did you have secure file deletion enabled in the past when you were performing cleans with no problems?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

4 minutes ago, Dave CCleaner said:

There does not seem to be anything in the list there of any importance, but I will pass it up to the experts for a second opinion.

One thing I did notice though is that you had enabled secure file deletion.  While this should not make a difference, did you have secure file deletion enabled in the past when you were performing cleans with no problems?

Yes. I’ve always had it thus.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hi scoobydog,

First, please can you confirm the following, which will help us to attempt to reproduce the issue:

1. the version of CCleaner you are using (we need to reconfirm this to test on an identical version)
  2. the edition of CCleaner you are using (e.g. CCleaner Free, CCleaner Pro)
  3. the OS version of Windows you are using: already confirmed as Windows 10
  4. the edition of Windows you are using (e.g. Professional, Home)
  5. the Windows build you are using (search for "Windows Update Settings" and scroll down to 'OS build info', e.g. "17134.885")
  6. your Windows architecture: already confirmed as 64-bit
  7. the version of Internet Explorer you are using
  8. how you are trying to launch Outlook

Next, please can you run through the following steps, which may help to confirm if CCleaner cleaning is responsible for the issue or not:

1. Try to run Outlook
    • Do you get the corruption error?
  2. In File Explorer, navigate to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    • Do you see a file called Outlook.lnk ?
  3. Next, run CCleaner with the settings you have been using (e.g. shortcuts unticked)
  4. Try to run Outlook
    • Do you get the corruption error?
  5. File Explorer, navigate to %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    • Do you see a file called Outlook.lnk ?

Lastly, if you do find Outlook.lnk, please can you do the following:

1. Right-click and select Properties
  2. In the Shortcut tab, Copy + Paste the path from Target (feel free to obfuscate any Windows username that may appear here)
  3. In the Security tab, confirm the status of the following: (a screenshot with the 'Snip' tool may be easier)
    • Modify
    • Read & execute
    • Read
    • Write

It's a lot of steps, but it will give us a good understanding of what may be causing this shortcut corruption. We want to establish if it's CCleaner or not. If it is, we obviously want to fix it as soon as possible.

Stephen CCleaner,

1. the version of CCleaner you are using (we need to reconfirm this to test on an identical version) v5.60.7307 (64bit)
  2. the edition of CCleaner you are using (e.g. CCleaner Free, CCleaner Pro)  CCleaner - Professional Edition.
  4. the edition of Windows you are using (e.g. Professional, Home)  Home
  5. the Windows build you are using (search for "Windows Update Settings" and scroll down to 'OS build info', e.g. "17134.885") OS Build 17134.885
  7. the version of Internet Explorer you are using   I.E.  v11.885.17134.0  (although I never use I.E.  I use Firefox Quantum 68.0.1(64bit)
  8. how you are trying to launch Outlook   Usually via a shortcut pinned to the taskbar.  Sometimes via the start menu.

The steps you ask me to perform are beyond my capability without explicit instructions/guidance. I'm not that computer savvy and don't have the first idea as to how I go about navigating to the areas you require.

I can assure you it's definitely and can only be CCleaner causing the problem.  I know this because all Office products, including Outlook load and run as intended prior to using CC.  Every time I use CC and then try to use an Office product I get the error message previously described whether I try to use the taskbar shortcut or start menu shortcut. The option to clean them is unchecked in the custom clean settings and always has been.  I reinstall Office 365 and all is fine again until I next use CC.  As was the case again only a few days ago when I again had to reinstall Office 365.

Edited by scoobydog

• Moderators

@scoobydog

Can I just confirm something with you?

If you click once on the Windows start flag at the bottom left of your screen and immediately type   winver    and then click on the tab that comes up, what VERSION of Windows does it say you are running.. 1803?

Don't worry about the typing bit, you don't have to look for a box to type the word winver in as Windows works it out itself :) 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

1 minute ago, hazelnut said:

@scoobydog

Can I just confirm something with you?

If you click once on the Windows start flag at the bottom left of your screen and immediately type   winver    and then click on the tab that comes up, what VERSION of Windows does it say you are running.. 1803?

Don't worry about the typing bit, you don't have to look for a box to type the word winver in as Windows works it out itself :) 

Hi hazelnut,

Yes VERSION1803

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, scoobydog said:

Hi hazelnut,

Yes VERSION1803

I'm sure that info will be helpful to Stephen and the rest of the Admin team.

Will it upset you to know that the version 1803 will cease to be supported in November I think?

You are actually 2 Windows versions behind. But let's not worry about that just now, let's see what the Admins say after they see your replies :) 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

2 minutes ago, hazelnut said:

I'm sure that info will be helpful to Stephen and the rest of the Admin team.

Will it upset you to know that the version 1803 will cease to be supported in November I think?

You are actually 2 Windows versions behind. But let's not worry about that just now, let's see what the Admins say after they see your replies :) 

Cease to be supported?  How does that happen?  Two windows versions behind?  Again how does that happen given updates are set to download and install automatically?

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, scoobydog said:

Cease to be supported?  How does that happen?  Two windows versions behind?  Again how does that happen given updates are set to download and install automatically?

Don't worry about it for now, it's a Microsoft thing.

There were some issues with Windows 10 version 1809 not working properly on some machines, so MS stopped pushing automatic upgrades to 1809.

When 1903 came along there were also changes to how updates/upgrades work so that Windows no longer automatically upgrades without asking the user first.

As we say don't worry about it, Microsoft are now in the process of automatically updating those still with 1803 to the latest 1903, skipping 1809 altogether.
They are doing it slowly so yours may not have happened yet.

(I did one for a friend a week or so ago, and her laptop updated from 1803 to 1903 with no problems).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner
6 hours ago, scoobydog said:

Stephen CCleaner,

1. the version of CCleaner you are using (we need to reconfirm this to test on an identical version) v5.60.7307 (64bit)
  2. the edition of CCleaner you are using (e.g. CCleaner Free, CCleaner Pro)  CCleaner - Professional Edition.
  4. the edition of Windows you are using (e.g. Professional, Home)  Home
  5. the Windows build you are using (search for "Windows Update Settings" and scroll down to 'OS build info', e.g. "17134.885") OS Build 17134.885
  7. the version of Internet Explorer you are using   I.E.  v11.885.17134.0  (although I never use I.E.  I use Firefox Quantum 68.0.1(64bit)
  8. how you are trying to launch Outlook   Usually via a shortcut pinned to the taskbar.  Sometimes via the start menu.

The steps you ask me to perform are beyond my capability without explicit instructions/guidance. I'm not that computer savvy and don't have the first idea as to how I go about navigating to the areas you require.

Thank you very much for passing this back to us. This information is very helpful and gives us what we need to match your Windows setup and attempt to reproduce this directly.

Below I have simplified the steps I previously requested into something more straightforward. This will tell us if the shortcut is actually missing, or if it is broken somehow.

1. Try to run Outlook via the taskbar shortcut
    • Do you get the corruption error here?
  2. Next, copy the following text to the clipboard (by highlighting it, holding the 'Ctrl' key and pressing the 'C' key): %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
  3. Next. hold the Windows key and press the 'R' key
  4. Paste what you copied previously, by holding the 'Ctrl' key and pressing the 'V' key
  5. Press the Enter key (a.k.a. Return key)

A window should open with some files listed.

My main question here is: Do you see a file called Outlook.lnk ?

If the file is there, what happens if you double-click this Outlook shortcut to run it?

So I'm now updated to 1903 and............................. my classic old solitaire has gone and Cortana is back  ggrrrrr.  Seems Cortana can't be disabled anymore without also disabling search.  I know this is the wrong place for a whinge but ggrrrrrr!  :(

Please don't respond to the above.  I was just having a frustrated whinge and want to stay on topic.   Sorry.

• Moderators

This has gone off topic,
But classic Solitaire is still there under 'Microsoft Solitaire Collection', the classic version is 'Klondike'.

You can disable Cortana, I did it years back and it's never returned.
Dont worry about the searchbox, it has been seperated from Cortana in 1903 - but you don't need it anyway.
Simply click the Windows icon to open the start menu and start typing what you want to search for, no box is neeeded. (Give it a try).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043