Office 16/Office 365 potential issues with CCleaner [under investigation]

I have MS Office 365 and CCleaner Professional v5.58.7209(64bit) installed on a win10 desktop PC.

Recently, in the last couple of months, whenever I run a scan and clean I cannot then use any of the MS Office 365 components.  If I try to use Outlook for example I get a notice telling me that the file is corrupt and cannot load.  I re-install Office 365 and all is good again.  This is happening every time I run CCleaner and I am forced to re-install Office.  Whilst I can get it back it's a total PITA and shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas please?

TIA.

• Moderators

Disable/untick anything in CCleaner that reads as MS Office or Office, and see if that helps.

Also if you're using any CC Enhancer program (unofficial unsupported by Piriform CCleaner), or the community Winapp2.ini file (unsupported by Piriform CCleaner) try removing them to see if that helps.

one of the reason people login to this forum to report a problem :P

try Analyze first and remove one by one what ccleaner detected till you get the Cleaner rule that cause the problem

Report back here your finding

Just now, dvdbane said:

one of the reason people login to this forum to report a problem :P

try Analyze first and remove one by one what ccleaner detected till you get the Cleaner rule that cause the problem

Report back here your finding

I get that. I did/have logged in to this forum to report a problem:P LOL

I have run CCleaner a couple of times and had the issue described.  I don't have the enhancer or other apps mentioned as my CCleaner is official and downloaded from Piriform.  I have unticked anything in CCleaner that reads as MS Office or Office and run CCleaner and the issue persists.  I have never run CCleaner Reg cleaner so that won't be the cause I suspect.

I was rather hoping there would be an easy and known fix but it appears I'm alone in this situation.  I've been using CCleaner Professional for many years and this problem has only just appeared so I'm a tad confused.   Understand I appreciate your time and effort on  my behalf.

• Moderators

Are you running Easy Clean or Custom Clean?

Easy Clean uses default cleaning actions set by Piriform, - I'm not sure if that includes Office products by default or not.

AFAIK Piriform have not yet published information on just what the Easy Clean defaults are.
Easy Clean is not even mentioned in the CCleaner documentation yet.

We have seen previously that for unticked boxes to have effect (and so not clean Office?) then you need to Ananlyze/Clean using Custom Clean rather than Easy Clean.
ie. Easy Clean does not respect your Custom Clean ticks/unticks, it only uses it's own default settings.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

6 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Are you running Easy Clean or Custom Clean?

Easy Clean uses default cleaning actions set by Piriform, - I'm not sure if that includes Office products by default or not.

AFAIK Piriform have not yet published information on just what the Easy Clean defaults are.

We have seen previously that for unticked boxes to have effect (and so not clean Office?) then you need to Ananlyze/Clean using Custom Clean rather than Easy Clean.
ie. Easy Clean does not respect your Custom Clean ticks/unticks, it only uses it's own default settings.

I use custom clean with all/any references to MS Office or Office disabled.  I've never used the Easy Clean.

• Moderators

Oh well, it was just a thought as we have seen similar before when a user had unticked some options but EasyClean was still removing them.

As dvdbane suggests your best option is to do an Analyze and list the files found to see which relate to Office. (use the Advanced listing).

You can then right click anything related to Office and 'Add to Exclude list' then try cleaning again.

If that doesn't work then you will need to look at what else CC is finding to remove and work out (exclude them one-by-one) which file deletion is causing the problem.
It can be time consuming, especially if more than one file is involved.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

There are a couple of ways:

1. You can go to Options>Advanced and select 'File list' for the 'Cleaning results level of detail'. (That will list all files found to clean when you run Ananlze)
  2. OR - After running an Analyze right click on one of the categories found and select 'View all files'. (That will show the files to clean in that particular category).

Sorry can't screenshot option 2, but here is option 1 showing 'File list' selected:

image.thumb.png.e8299dce919dbefab5412663c964b4ee.png

You could further refine it by only Analyzing for Office files to see which ones CC is finding to clean.
Use option 1 above then:
In the 'Applications' Tab right click on 'Office ####' and select Analyze in the pop-up. (That will only list what files CC finds to clean for that version of Office and nothing else).

• Admin

Interesting issue.  The CCleaner team all use Office and have yet to brick themselves.  If you run an analysis first with Office checked (would be under Custom Clean > Applications > Applications) ...

image.png

... and then right-click "View all Files" you should see a list of cache and temp files and some recent file LNKs - but nothing mission critical.

Under Custom Clean > Windows > System, do you have "Start Menu Shortcuts" and "Desktop Shortcuts" unchecked? Might not be the install itself at (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\outlook.exe) but just the shortcuts being mangled?

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

There are a couple of ways:

1. You can go to Options>Advanced and select 'File list' for the 'Cleaning results level of detail'. (That will list all files found to clean when you run Ananlze)
  2. OR - After running an Analyze right click on one of the categories found and select 'View all files'. (That will show the files to clean in that particular category).

Sorry can't screenshot option 2, but here is option 1 showing 'File list' selected:

image.thumb.png.e8299dce919dbefab5412663c964b4ee.png

You could further refine it by only Analyzing for Office files to see which ones CC is finding to clean.
Use option 1 above then:
In the 'Applications' Tab right click on 'Office ####' and select Analyze in the pop-up. (That will only list what files CC finds to clean for that version of Office and nothing else).

Set as above but don't get an option to view all files/

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, scoobydog said:

Set as above but don't get an option to view all files/

If you set that first option then it will automatically show all files when you do an Analyze in Custom Clean.

Dave CCleaner has also explained the second 'right click' method in his post, - also take note of what he says about the shortcuts.

1 minute ago, nukecad said:

If you set that first option then it will automatically show all files when you do an Analyze in Custom Clean.

Dave CCleaner has also explained the second 'right click' method in his post, - also take note of what he says about the shortcuts.

I have it set as above. I do not get an option to view all files.  I don't get the number of files only the size. I have taken note re shortcuts and they are unticked.   I did say this in my last.

• Moderators

Selecting Options>Advanced> Cleaning results level of detail>Advanced report gives a report like this which shows the sections to be cleaned and how many files are in each section:

(Note Firefox was skipped because I have it open).

image.thumb.png.be3dec266e9f86bcfa58b9e6daa2ca1a.png

Selecting Options>Advanced> Cleaning results level of detail>File List gives a report like this which shows the actual individual files:
(There is no number of files, each one is a single file).

image.thumb.png.d68faddff49e5553f3da58e81422e9b1.png

12 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Selecting Options>Advanced> Cleaning results level of detail>Advanced report gives a report like this which shows the sections to be cleaned and how many files are in each section:

(Note Firefox was skipped because I have it open).

image.thumb.png.be3dec266e9f86bcfa58b9e6daa2ca1a.png

Selecting Options>Advanced> Cleaning results level of detail>File List gives a report like this which shows the actual individual files:
(There is no number of files, each one is a single file).

image.thumb.png.d68faddff49e5553f3da58e81422e9b1.png

Yes I understand this and I now have tried both settings and analyzed with each.  With Office ticked in the applications section the results show a shed load of files to be cleaned.  With Office unticked no mention of Office appears in the results to be cleaned.    Run CCleaner, restart PC, open any Office product to be met with a notice telling the files are corrupted, or similar and it won't open.  I have to reinstall Office 365 for it to work.  All settings and emails etc are as was but a reinstall is required to use Office.

• Moderators

Try unticking the shortcuts as dave CCleaner suggested.

31 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Try unticking the shortcuts as dave CCleaner suggested.

What shortcuts? If you’re referring to Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts I’ve already posted that they are and always have been unticked.

• Admin

To get a list of exactly what is being removed (without actually cleaning it) can I get you to try ....

Custom Clean > Analyze using your current settings

image.png

Right-click on the "Analysis Complete" text and select "Save to text file".  You should end up with a file called log.txt with a summary header block and then a list of all of the files that CCleaner is proposing to clean - should look something like this:

image.png

... and then either post it here for us to take a look at or, if there is any sensitive or personally identifying information in there that you'd rather not reveal publicly, DM it to me privately instead.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

• Admin
7 hours ago, nukecad said:

On this topic, note that the main docs collection is... a little out of date. For folks looking for more information on newer features such as Easy Clean and Software Updater, I would recommend a look at the CCleaner FAQ collection, eg: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/search?query=easy+clean

16 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

To get a list of exactly what is being removed (without actually cleaning it) can I get you to try ....

Custom Clean > Analyze using your current settings

image.png

Right-click on the "Analysis Complete" text and select "Save to text file".  You should end up with a file called log.txt with a summary header block and then a list of all of the files that CCleaner is proposing to clean - should look something like this:

image.png

... and then either post it here for us to take a look at or, if there is any sensitive or personally identifying information in there that you'd rather not reveal publicly, DM it to me privately instead.

Strangely, by pure coincidence,............ surely not!

Yesterday CCleaner offered two updates one very soon after the other.  This morning Windows prompted a restart due to an update.  So I updated CCleaner twice yesterday and before restarting in order to update Windows I ran CCleaner.  Ran it as I always have done without any Office products ticked on a Custom Clean.   Then restarted, Windows update installed and ran Office Outlook followed by Word and then Excel.  Without issue they all opened as they should without any notifications of corruptions of any sort.   Coincidence or updates fixing things?  I don't know but I will plod on and keep a close eye on things.  Any issues I will report back here.

Please accept my humble gratitude to those that have got involved and tried to help me with this rather frustrating glitch.

I've confirmed that CCleaner PRO does corrupt OFFICE 2016 and thus I had to do a reinstall of OFFICE 2016.  I've run CCLEANER pro and then clicked on OFFICE 2016 products and sure enough, files were corrupted.  Did reinstall of OFFICE 2016,,,,,,,,,ensured the office products were all shut down, ran ccleaner pro again, and once again files were corrupted.  Not using CCleaner PRO until i'm told there's a fix for this issue.