There is a way to recover a entire folder without copying?

YuriPlanzo

Hi, Everyone

I'm suffering panic attack right now, but I'll survive, I guess... 

I just accidentally deleted (SHIFT+DEL) a folder with all my family footage (~150GB) during a data organization on my external hard drive (4TB, but 3TB free). I'm currently waiting for the Deep Scan, but I was thinking if there is a way to simply "unmark" the folder as deleted. It would be amazing if the folder just came back from the ashes. I dont know if there is a way to just "undo" the deletion without having to copy the files. 

If someone could help me I'll be extremely thankfull

• Moderators

It is not possible to reinstate deleted files, recovery is a copy to a safe place process.

The folder structure can be recreated if required, and if it still exists.

A deep scan will not find file names or folder information, nor will it find any but the first fragment of a file, so may be of limited use.

2 hours ago, Augeas said:

It is not possible to reinstate deleted files, recovery is a copy to a safe place process.

The folder structure can be recreated if required, and if it still exists.

A deep scan will not find file names or folder information, nor will it find any but the first fragment of a file, so may be of limited use.

Thanks for your reply. The deep scan is finally over and I was able to recover many files, but the larges ones could not be recovered... I was reading the forum and find this:

There is no size limitation as far as I know. However when a file larger than 4gb is deleted in an NTFS system then there are changes to the file's record in the MFT. The file size and end cluster number are set to zeroes/FF's. If the file is in many extents then any extension records in the MFT will have the data cluster addresses set to zero/FF's. This causes the not-quite-accurate error message.

These 4k+ files are to all intents and purposes unrecoverable. They may still exist on the storage device but unless they are in one single extent then patching multiple extents together is impossible without professional help.

A deep scan will show whether there are files of 20gb+ found. If so then recover those and see what you have. Otherwise it's back to the previous paragraph.

I think it means that I will not recover my huge files...

Thank you for answer me so quickly.