Last 2 versions of Free version won't install (Windows 10)

onebrow

This is not quite the same problem that tigerbill88 has been experiencing, but it may be related.

I am using also using Windows 10 64 bit

I have been using CCleaner (Free), successfully, on all my PCs for hundreds :D of years (well, at least 20 anyway!)

I have never had any issues until the last 2 (failed) attempts to install the last 2 updates.

No error message - the install process just stops after I click the Install button on the (usually) final install dialogue box.

I ignored it the first time and continued to use the outdated version, as I didn't have the time to devote to anything too time consuming.

This time I tried everything, including a clean install, and everything on the list posted by Andavari, July 5, 2006 in CCleaner Bug Reporting

Lately, I don't use any AntiVirus products other than the built in Windows 10 "Windows Defender".

After uninstalling the last version I had, I have finally managed to install v5.60.7307 (64 bit) - after downloading the zipped 'Portable' version from the official site.

However, I'm not quite sure what a "portable" version really is :unsure:  !

I have had to re-populate my list of "Cookies to keep", and of course, the app no longer appears in my Windows list of applications (does this really matter?}.

I have ticked the box in Options to "minimise the app to the system tray", and created a shortcut on my desktop to start the app that way when I shut down my machine.

I assume this will mean the app will function pretty much the way it always did in the past.

I am baffled as to why this has started happening and the apparent lack of posts by any other people experiencing the same issue - so I'd be grateful for any comments/guidance.

Can anyone tell me whether this version will continue to inform me when a new update is available? and can anyone reassure me that I will not have to repeat this whole process every time I try to do updates in the future?

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, onebrow said:

However, I'm not quite sure what a "portable" version really is :unsure:  !

I have had to re-populate my list of "Cookies to keep", and of course, the app no longer appears in my Windows list of applications (does this really matter?}.

I have ticked the box in Options to "minimise the app to the system tray", and created a shortcut on my desktop to start the app that way when I shut down my machine.

I assume this will mean the app will function pretty much the way it always did in the past.

Definition of a portable program:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

The portable version of CCleaner is all I've used for years once it became available. And as you've noted when using it on your computer you have to manually set it up to make it function more-or-less like an installed program but that's usually a one-time occurrence.

Probably the main difference between CCleaner Portable vs Installed are:
* Smart Cleaning ("Monitoring") is unavailable in a portable scenario.
* Saving settings into the Windows Registry is unavailable in a portable scenario, all settings are stored in ccleaner.ini.
* You can use and run CCleaner Portable from any writable medium; internal hard disk/SSD, portable/external hard disk/SSD, USB Flash Drive, SD Card, etc.

For updating it's actually easy if you wish to continue using the portable version:
1. Download the zip archive.
2. Unzip it into the folder where you currently have CCleaner Portable residing, click yes to overwrite the old files, and that's it, it's updated to the new version and ready to use.

As to why there's a few different types of installation failures:
* Many people have reported the install failure with an error dialog: Error opening file for writing. My take on it is that it's possibly related to Smart Cleaning, if it's running resident in the background the setup can't overwrite an in-use file ("CCleaner.exe, CCleaner64.exe", etc.,), and since they haven't implemented a way to my knowledge to kill the process during updating.
* As for it failing with no error dialog or anything to inform the user the install has failed I don't know, something else for them to figure out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, onegrumpygranpa said:

I also have the problem of Ccleaner not wanting to update to version 5.61 it just says unable to write to c: ????

See here

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/5739-solution-when-ccleaner-wont-install-or-download-windows/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com