stop emptying my recycle bin

• Moderators

Use custom clean and you'll find recycle bin on the first (system) tab.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem except that I have checked and the box for emptying the recycle bin is NOT checked.

I tested by deleting a small picture to the recycle bin and then restarting windows. When Windows is done starting everything I opened the recycle bin and the file is still there. I then immediately ran CCleaner v 5.61.7392 and checked the recycle bin and it is now empty.

I also put a check in the empty box for the recycle bin and closed CCleaner. I reopened it, unchecked the box, closed it and then opened it again and ran the program. to make sure there was not a phantom checkmark lurking in the registry. It still empties the bin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Sledge489
Add info

• Moderators

It's probably "Easy Clean" that's doing it.

Here's how to configure CCleaner to use "Custom Clean" instead:
1. Open CCleaner.
2. Click: Options > Settings
3. In Settings enable/tick: Custom Clean
4. Click the large Custom Clean icon on the left, and in the Windows (tab) scroll down to System, and look for Recycle Bin and disable/untick it.
5. Try your Recycle Bin test again to verify cleaning it has been successfully disabled.

I finally figured it out. The culprit is Easy Clean.

Whenever I run CCleaner it automatically opens the Easy Clean process and I was using that option rater than choosing the Custom Clean option.

I had set up Custom Clean so that it had the Clean Recycle box unchecked in the Tools section. BUT, that apparently does not have any affect on Easy Clean.

You can run Easy Clean Analyze and then click on the Review Junk button under the trash can and uncheck the Empty Recycle option and it will not empty the Recycle Bin. The PROBLEM with this is that once you close and re-open CCleaner the Easy Clean option automatically restores the check mark to the Empty Recycle box.

FOR THE DESIGN TEAM:  it would be nice if Easy Clean would "remember" when you change a setting (like Custom Clean does) and keep it that way indefinitely rater than us having to remember to do it each time we run CCleaner new. It would also be nice to be able to choose whether you want Easy Clean or Custom Clean to be your default cleaner when you run the program.

Other than this small problem I love the program and use it almost daily.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Sledge489 said:

Whenever I run CCleaner it automatically opens the Easy Clean process and I was using that option rater than choosing the Custom Clean option.

It would also be nice to be able to choose whether you want Easy Clean or Custom Clean to be your default cleaner when you run the program.

That setting is already there - You change it in: Options > Settings > CCleaner Home Screen.
Whichever one you pick becomes the default screen you see each time that you open CCleaner.

image.png

As said above Easy Clean uses it's own rules and will always empty the recycle bin, regardless of what you have set in Custom Clean.
If you don't want the bin to be emptied then you must use Custom Clean, and tell it not to empty the bin.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 06/10/2019 at 04:36, Andavari said:

Easy Clean uses its own settings, they have nothing to do with user selected items in Custom Clean. Hence the reason I gave you those instructions a couple of posts up from this one.

I was clear on the settings for Easy Clean. My thought was that if you set a custom setting, that setting should override any other settings that might conflict with it.