CCleaner won`t remove ANYTHING from my Google Chrome, why?

jwayn

Hi,

I checked all the boxes in all the cleaning options in Custom Clean also in Applications where Google Chrome is. Google Chrome is closed and I run cleaning. But nothing is removed except the history. When I run Chrome I am still logged in to gmail, facebook etc. I already disabled "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" but still nothing at all.

I tried with BleachBit even though I don`t like this software but still nothing 

what is wrong? 

please help

• Moderators

It sounds as if your Chrome may be synced. (But see below about logins).

If you clear anything that is synced (Timeline, browser history, etc.) from your machine then it will just get synced back again from the cloud server.

That's simply how synchronisation works - info about your activity, settings, etc. is saved in the cloud and then downloaded to your device(s) when you visit (log into) that synced service again.
The software (Timeline, browser, etc.) looks at the device you are using and if the info saved in the cloud isn't on there it downloads it automatically to the device.
That's how history from your PC browsing gets transferred (syncronised) to your tablet or phone and vice-versa.

Unless you clear the info from the cloud server it will keep being synced back to your machine(s).
And of course the cloud servers are owned by the software company(s) and they won't let 3rd party cleaners delete files from them.

The only effective way to clear synced information is from within each synced application itself which can delete things from its own cloud server.

This explains how to do that with Chrome:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-clear-google-chrome-sync-data/

The gmail login may be something else.
Last year google started logging you into Chrome when you logged into gmail or youtube, they may have expanded that to work the other way round as well.
Here's an article about it from last year:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/17895536/google-chrome-69-log-in-sync-password-user-data-privacy

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

thanks but it shows that i am logged in to google account but sync is off.... and i never picked to save my data when i logged in. does it mean i have to log out the google account even though if sync is off??

• Moderators

Sorry, I'm unsure but you could always try it.
TBH I think you may have hit on the reason, your Google account may be keeping your Chrome settings and active logins.

As you have also run a rival cleaner without success then that would seem to point to something other than the cleaners being at fault here.
You could see one cleaner having a glitch, but not two having the same glitch.

It may be something that Chrome itself has changed, Google are getting somewhat notorious for hindering/stopping third-party applications working with Chrome.
They say it's for security reasons, but most believe it's in order to increase their profits.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/01/23/google-chrome-ad-blocker-ads-upgrade-problem-speed-slow-update/

As for being kept logged in:
If you use the 'Remember Me' button when you log in then I am aware that some websites will save your logged-in status at the site itself rather than on your computer.
So unless you deliberately use the 'sign-out' button before leaving the site it will log you in again next time you visit the site on the same computer, even if you have shut down in between.
(Of course, they have to collect your computers unique ID to be able to cross a shutdown, but that's easily done).
Again I'm not sure, but I believe that Facebook can/will do that.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

ok. thanks. i never agreed to save my details in Chrome. But It`s saved I just thought that even if I am logged etc Ccleaner will delete everything from my Chrome something like a factory reset.  But I guess I was wrong.

Have another quick question. Why I can see Ccleaner notification every few minutes saying that Internet Explorer has been closed and cleaned. I haven't  used IE in weeks but I can see that notification all the time every few minutes....?

thank You guys

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, jwayn said:

Have another quick question. Why I can see Ccleaner notification every few minutes saying that Internet Explorer has been closed and cleaned. I haven't  used IE in weeks but I can see that notification all the time every few minutes....?

That's probably due to something else using IE's files/storage, and you have automatic browser cleaning selected in Smart Cleaning.

You may want to change the setting 'If cleaning saves more than xx GB' so that it doesn't happen as often.
(Or change automatic browser cleaning to Clean on closing the browser).

Various things Microsoft (and others) will also use IE's storage, - Edge will use common temporary storage with IE, so will Skype, and there are others.
It's just a convenience, why set up your own temporary storage locations for your application when they already exist for IE and you can use those locations/files.

Because they are using the same names/locations as IE junk/temporary files then CCleaner will see them all as being IE junk/temporary files.

As for what app(s) are causing this, if it's happening all the time it must be something that is running all the time, and creating the files all the time.