Need to disable unwanted Software Updater [user error]

I am a longtime home user running the free version of CCleaner. I am running Windows 10 Home.

To my horror I find that CCleaner now includes Software Updater and that CCleaner has updated programs I didn't want to update. There appears to be no way to disable it. Not accessible under Tools.

While I am very appreciative of CCleaner, especially the new Easy Clean, I think that forcing applications on users is not a reputable action to take.

Have just updated to 5.58709 in the hope that this would remove the application, but Software Updater is still there.

Please give me instructions on how to disable or remove Software Updater.

thank you

Edited by Gruntle
+W10

• Admin

To confirm, are you using CCleaner Free or CCleaner Professional Trial? The Software Updater is a paid feature (released in version 5.55 in March), so if you are on the free version, when you go to Tools > Software Updater and click "Update" it should be popping up with a message rather than letting you proceed with updating the listed software. 

image.png

.. and even for paid users you still need to click the button to update the software selected - it's not automatic.

Edited by Dave CCleaner
Added screenshot for clarity

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Admin

Were FileZilla and Skype the programs you were concerned about in your initial post? That screenshot shows that there are programs available to update: FileZilla from your current version of 3.41 to 3.42 and Skype from 8.44 to 8.46, but that it has not done so. 

image.png

What happens when you click the "Update All" button on the right?  Do you get a pop-up message like the one from my screenshot above?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

When I click the "Update All" button on the right, I do get a pop-up message as you say.

The programs which updated without my knowledge or permission were Adobe Flash Player, Java, driver updates, and a whole pile of Microsoft Feature bloatware.

• Admin

We do not currently touch Microsoft components or drivers with the Software Updater. You can check that second "Up to date Programs" tab to see the list of software on your PC apart from FileZilla and Skype that Software Updater can manage.

It sounds like any unexpected updates of the components you mention would have come from elsewhere - not CCleaner.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Gruntle said:

The programs which updated without my knowledge or permission were Adobe Flash Player, Java, driver updates, and a whole pile of Microsoft Feature bloatware.

Windows 10 will update those itself as part of the Automatic Updates.

To stop it doing that:
Go to Windows Update > Advanced Options and turn off "Receive updates for other Microsoft products...."

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 9 months later...

Does anybody understand the original question??

The question was how to disable this nusance of automatic software "updates" which we have not agreed to. Everytime the software wants us to update our software and there seems to be no function to disable this intrusion into our system.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, U Haul said:

Does anybody understand the original question??

The question was how to disable this nusance of automatic software "updates" which we have not agreed to. Everytime the software wants us to update our software and there seems to be no function to disable this intrusion into our system.

The original question is from 9 months ago and did not ask that at all. (Because as Dave CCleaner stated in post 2 CCleaner didn't do what you say at that time).

Yours is a different question that applies now that CCleaner has changed, and the answer is simply to use Custom Clean and not Health Check.

Health Check will always check for software updates, it is meant to do that.
Custom Clean does not check for software updates at all.
(If you want to check for software updates when using Custom Clean then you have to use the seperate Software Updater tool, which is what the OP was about).

To make CCleaner use Custom Clean as the default cleaning method then go to Options>Settings and change CCleaner Home Screen to 'Custom Clean'.
Once you have done that it will then use Custom Clean every time, (and not check for software updates) unless you specifically click on Health Check.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have ccleaner professionsl  plus.on my computer had been working for a long time.however on the 29/3 /20 it stopped working.

I have had a professional work on my computer and the only way to resolve the problem was to disable m my lifetime paid malwarebytes programme.

Can you please rectify this problem for me so i do not have to delete ccleaner from my computer prior to this problem i have enjoyed using your programme

Regards Ken

• Admin

@kenzach Zacher: this has nothing to do with software updater. If you are having a problem with malwarebytes please start your own thread, or add to one of the other threads where people are having problems with AV companies being too short-staffed to keep their whitelists up-to-date at the moment,

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to Need to disable unwanted Software Updater [user error]