Custom registry keys are removed after a shutdown, reboot cycle

Hello guys

I'm using CCleaner Professional edition with my Windows 10 1903 version & noticed that, the custom registry key that I used was being removed after Shutdown, reboot cycle! It took me a while to start suspecting CCleaner as the culprit. I added an exception with CCleaner for the registry key & after that the key was not deleted.

This is not at all an expected behavior! Please let me know how I could stop CCleaner from making such changes in the future.

regards,

• Moderators

Perhaps play with the permissions/privileges on the key, i.e.; lock it down that way registry cleaners can't remove it, and you would even have to enable admin privileges upon it to edit it or remove it manually.

Well, after removing CCleaner, custom registry key is not anymore removed. I am afraid to say, the protecting the IPV6 parameter key will disable Windows from updating the available network and related details in the sub-keys.

I am planning to send email to official support as I am using professional edition of CCleaner, and ask them for a solution.

regards,

• Moderators
On 05/06/2019 at 06:18, rajthampi said:

I added an exception with CCleaner for the registry key & after that the key was not deleted.

@Stephen Piriform

I think poster is wanting to know why it was being removed in the first place.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I know, earlier I said after adding the exception the key was not deleted. However, after few restarts, the key was deleted. I missed to update the same with the post. Uninstalled CCleaner and the key is intact after half dozen of shutdown restart cycles.

• Admin

Note that v5.40 will not work with Windows 10 1903 - only 1809 or below.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Note that v5.40 will not work with Windows 10 1903 - only 1809 or below.

Using 5.40 on latest Win 10 1903 on one of my machines without any issues.

On this machine it was an upgrade and 5.40 was already installed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

9 hours ago, Andavari said:

If you use an old version such as CCleaner v5.40.6411 does it still delete that key? I'm just wondering if all the changes in CCleaner over the last year have somehow caused the issue.

Well, instead of giving it another try , I will be more interested towards an official explanation from Piriform towards this behavior. Thank you very much @hazelnut

Guys, finally I figured out that it is NOT CCleaner issue. After being there for almost a four days, today morning Windows regenerated the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" branch & I lost the REG DWORD "DisabledComponents" once again. It looks like, 1903 is doing something different than previous versions, forcing IPV6 to refresh something (beyond my understanding), which regenerates the entire "Parameters" sub-key branch.

Thank you to everyone who took the efforts to respond. I have raised a question with Microsoft Answers and hoping to get some answers. Interested could follow the thread here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-1903-disabledcomponents-registry-key/93c9ca80-ff4e-4af5-9f7a-2e9bcec6c17d?tm=1560239135300

• Admin

Good to know that the traditional software vendor answer of "blame Microsoft" sometimes still applies :-)

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

Well 1903 does have some issues just search YouTube for them. For some they're losing their Wi-Fi.

For me it was undocumented the highlight color (an awful color at that) we see when selecting files would randomly blink/glitch on the screen every time I'd insert and remove a USB device looking as if my laptop screen was about to die and it kept getting worse over the three days 1903 was installed and would then randomly do it on its own.

I've downgraded via a disk image backup I had made before installing it instead of waiting on them to fix the issue at their leisure.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Andavari said:

Well 1903 does have some issues just search YouTube for them. For some they're losing their Wi-Fi.

That has been known about since before it was released, it's an issue with old Qualcom wifi drivers.
It's one of 12 known issues, most of which are not serious.

If you have one of those old Qualcom drivers then you will not be offered the Automatic Update to 1903 yet, - of course if you download/installed it yourself then you took the risk.
NOTE- Since June 6th if you 'Check for Updates' you will be offered 1903, check that the known issues will not affect you before doing this.
I suspect that is why we are now seeing some complaints about it on youtube, they didn't know to check and just installed it.
You can find the up to date listing of known issues here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

You can now stop downloaded Windows updates from installing for up to 35 days (5x 7 days), so if you do get the download you can defer the installation until you have checked if the issues might affect you.

(PS. I have a Qualcom wifi driver, I knew abot the issue and simply made sure that the driver was up to date, then installed 1903 myself using the Upgrade Assistant. It's not been a problem).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043