CCleaner free and Windows 10 update files

arcus31

• Moderators

They removed the cleaning of Windows Update files from CCleaner a while back.

Specifically because Windows 10 handles update files differently from earlier Windows versions (It installs some of  them over time rather than all at once) and so Windows 10 updates could be / were being affected by the cleaning.

To be extra cautious though I wouldn't run CC between downloading and installing Windows updates.

Windows 10 will remove the update files itself when they are no longer needed.
(Or you could use Storage Sense or Disk Clean-up which both know which windows update files are safe to clean at any time).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
2 hours ago, nukecad said:

To be extra cautious though I wouldn't run CC between downloading and installing Windows updates.

I wouldn't run any disk cleaning program during that scenario rather it's built into Windows itself such as Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense, and definitely not any third party cleaning programs such as CCleaner, etc.

• Moderators

Even more so now that Windows 10 Home will let you defer instaling downloaded updates for up to 35 days.

So if you do defer the installation then you are taking a risk of losing the downloaded files if you run any cleaner other than Storage Sense or Disk Clean-up.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

So, if the windows updates are downloaded and asking for the restart and then run ccleaner then will it harm it?
If you download the 1809 update from 1803 in Windows Update and downloaded and then running the ccleaner won't it harm ? 
because I so upgrade the system and installed it properly.
So:
1., the windows update is downloaded
2. will be installed or will be installed at restart
3., you run the ccleaner
4. You restart the machine because it was requested by the windows update.
So doesn't ccleaner hurt windows updates?

I hope it is not :)

Sorry my bad english, i'm from hungary

• Moderators

I wouldn't run any cleaner between downloading and installing anything not just Windows updates.

PS. If you are still on 1803 then you will no longer be offered 1809; you'll jump straight to 1903.

1803 is coming to EoS and Microsoft have said it will be automatically updated to 1903 (in  the next month).

I understand. But does ccleaner cause some problems with updates or not? If updates is properly installed then does it cause it?  
Ccleaner Cleaning Does Not Affect Windows 10 Update?  I hope not.  Thank you.

• Moderators

Using the Easy Clean or Custom Clean sections of CCleaner will not affect already installed updates. (And probably not downloaded/pending updates but why take a chance?).

However you should not use the Registry Cleaner, especially following a major Windows Update
In fact you should be very careful of using the Registry Cleaner at all with Windows 10.

Windows 10 can change the registry frequently with any update, and updates happen at least monthly.
Registry Cleaners will/may not recognise what these changes are and may remove the new/changed registry entries by mistake.

Microsoft themselves recommend that you don't use any Registry Cleaner:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

• Moderators
18 hours ago, nukecad said:

Windows 10 can change the registry frequently with any update, and updates happen at least monthly.

I witness just that all the time by looking at the backup file size of the registry that Tweaking.com Registry Backup makes. After updates are installed the registry grows a tiny amount in size, a few days later Windows does something to reduce the registry size all on its own.