CCleaner Community Forums
Ksenom_O

CCleaner v 5.57 crashes my old Toshiba laptop

TOSHIBA Satellite L300-1FI laptop computer has served me since 2009 or for 10 years now. And just as long has CCleaner worked on this hardware. Windows 10 with the latest updates has been installed, and it runs just fine. But when I installed CCleaner 5.57 and tried to run it, the screen went completely black, keyboard and mouse non-responsive. The only way to regain control was to hold the power button 5 seconds to force shutdown, then reboot, and avoid opening CCleaner!

This particular computer model has a known issue with Intel graphics drivers, which are buggy and haven't received updates after 2009. Programs that use hardware acceleration are prone to crash. I wonder if this is the case here, too?

If you click on start flag and immediately type  Reliability History what does it show when you click on it and it loads the info?

What version of Win 10 are you using.. 1809?

Hi all!   :)

... and sorry for my terrible English! :wacko:
I'm having exactly the same issue with CCleaner 5.57.7182 release.
My machine is: Win10 Pro 64bit (1809), VGA Intel GMA 4500M.

Everything was ok till 5.56.7144, after updating to 5.57.7182 my notebook started having problems.

I mean:
1) I launch CCleaner;
2) immediately the video starts flashing, with several black screen and however it appears to be more lighting when it's not black;
3) after three or four rapidly flashing, the OS hangs and I must shut down pressing for a while the on/off button.

Even if I modify the compatibility settings in "Proprieties" (by the shortcut), I obtain the same issue.

I'll try to downgrade to a previous version or to use the portable one, otherwise I'll install another cleaner, but I should prefer to remain with CCleaner ... :unsure:

P.S.
In other my computers with different configurations (and different graphics card, too) I haven't any difficulties.

Cheers from Italy!

- - -

Edit: even the portable version (both 64 and 32 bit) crashes and the video got black. :(

On 16.5.2019 at 07:24, hazelnut said:

If you click on start flag and immediately type  Reliability History what does it show when you click on it and it loads the info?

What version of Win 10 are you using.. 1809?

My system is Finnish, but the Reliability History shows just "Windows was not properly shut down" a few times, when translated into English.
The operating system is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Version 1809 Build 17763.503 as hazelnut guessed.

9 hours ago, markinson said:

1) I launch CCleaner;
2) immediately the video starts flashing, with several black screen and however it appears to be more lighting when it's not black;
3) after three or four rapidly flashing, the OS hangs and I must shut down pressing for a while the on/off button.

Yeah, exactly the same happens in my system, when the screen goes black. I suspect it has to do with the Intel display driver. I have searched both Toshiba and Intel websites for updates, but to no avail.

5 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

I suspect it has to do with the Intel display driver. I have searched both Toshiba and Intel websites for updates, but to no avail.

That's it, I think so: something about and around graphic card or video driver (3d acceleration? the new CCleaner GUI? I don't know ...).
This probably could explain flashing and lighting. I think there is a video-graphic issue because actually under the system is running, in fact if you rapidly press CTRL-ALT-CANC you'll be able to shut the computer (an old ASUS notebook for me) regularly, without force.
No updates for me, too. :(

Now, I downgraded to previous portable version and everything is ok.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1809 build 17763.503, confirmed for me, too.

Cheers from Italy!