CCleaner Community Forums

Added unannounced, behind the scenes, Easy Clean ...

5cdaadcb14405_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.cb21fdd9bf714a65c81051a0caed1bc9.png

Am I missing something?  What's the purpose?  CCleaner's default settings are safe and easy for anyone -- just click "analyze" and/or "Run Cleaner".  More advanced users can simply check or uncheck what they want.  To me this serves no purpose.  Perhaps for some it does?

As it says at the bottom of your screenshot it's a trial feature. It's been about for a few months, not everybody gets it.

It used to be called 'Quick Clean' but it looks like they changed the name.

Is it any use or any improvement?
I've yet to see anyone on this forum who thinks it is.

It's just a 'dumbed down' front end.

EDIT-

It seems that this 'feature' has now been included in the latest release issued today (whether you want it or not).

Expect the complaints to start flowing in.

Okay.  So now we have "CCleaner for Dummies".  Here's a thought -- how about having the developers try to keep up with all the changes Microsoft makes to Windows 10, which occasionally cripple some CCleaner functions, without users having to jump through hoops or make changes in the registry.  Case in point -- Edge browser.  When Windows 10 1809 was first released last October, CCleaner skipped some cleaning items and also stopped cleaning some Windows logs.  (Yes, the logs can be useful for troubleshooting).  A fix was promised but never delivered.  The workaround was to go into the registry.  Without the workaround, when using the original cleaning screen, there's a pop-up to close Edge and items are still skipped..  With Easy Clean, I didn't get the pop-up earlier but now it appears. Who knows what'll happen when the new Windows 10 Feature Update is released (supposed to be "late May").

21 minutes ago, crizal said:

Okay.  So now we have "CCleaner for Dummies".

What made you think we had anything else since Avast took over? :P

Each 'improvement' just seems to be dumbing something down, or adding something that most users don't want/will never use.

Of course there are still some bits worth using or we wouldn't still be here.

16 minutes ago, nukecad said:

What made you think we had anything else since Avast took over? :P

Each 'improvement' just seems to be dumbing something down, or adding something that most users don't want/will never use.

Of course there are still some bits worth using or we wouldn't still be here.

@nukecad -- I love it.  Well said.  :lol:

How can i know what will be cleaned? I can choose from browsers, but i dont know what will be deleted in browser. Just everything? Same as i tick everything under browser?

43 minutes ago, TheOwner said:

How can i know what will be cleaned?

That's what made me avoid many disk cleaners over the past twenty years that basically were one-click to clean with a simple UI, and if they hosed the system in the process there'd be no way of knowing what they deleted.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:41, TheOwner said:

How can i know what will be cleaned? I can choose from browsers, but i dont know what will be deleted in browser. Just everything? Same as i tick everything under browser?

Hello @TheOwner -- Based on what I've seen so far …..

According to information in the following posts in this thread, Easy Clean follows CCleaner's default settings.  See Ben Piriform's post below.  As to exactly what will be cleaned, please read nukecad's response to Ben Piriform.

Edited by crizal
Correcting information

i mean im a lucky man - i have no easy clean or custom clean :-)

Easy Clean seems to be reporting cookies as 'Tracking Files', (and everything else as 'Junk Files').
Some testing I've done confirms that.

It's going to take some time to work out just what it is doing, unless Piriform would care to give us details of what it is set to do?

I've noticed Easy Clean is also analyzing/cleaning Edge and IE on my laptop, both of these are entirely unchecked in my custom settings because I never use them and checking them slows CC down.

So it looks like it uses it's own default setting for those 'built in' browsers. (At least for cookies, maybe for more).

On 15/05/2019 at 12:19, Ben Piriform said:

Easy Clean uses the CCleaner default settings, but should however take into account anything on your ignore list

As Easy Clean is meant to be for non-technical users it might have been better to explain that more simply for them, I'll have a go.

What Ben is saying is that Easy Clean does not respect anything that you have changed (ticked/unticked) from the default settings.
Any changes made there will only apply to Custom Clean.

Easy Clean will clean everything that Piriform has decided needs cleaning by default.

However Easy Clean should respect anything you have explicitly told it to leave alone by using an exception in the 'Exclude' list.
That's not something a non-technical user would normally do, but a more experienced user may have set up some exceptions/ignores for them.

There is no indication there if Easy Clean should also clean anything added to the 'Include' list?
EDIT
After a quick check I can confirm that Easy Clean is not cleaning anything that you have specified as an 'Include'.
You need to run a custom clean to clear your 'includes'.

I would like to know how "Easy Clean" got on my computer. I didn't do any updates, it been asking and I say no. I been on 5.56.7144 64 bit and it didn't use to ask or show anything about "Easy Clean". Then all of a sudden it shows up! Perhaps it just had a date to show up or it loaded without asking. I noticed CCleaner has two scheduled task I never approved and one gets around the UAC. The other is an update, which may update something, but I still get notices to update to new releases that I ignore for a couple of weeks.

Think CCleaner may be at the end of what I care to use.