CCleaner Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LVTS

I think I've purchased Cracked CCleaner

Hello there,

I've purchased a license code of CCleaner from an ebay seller. Everything was okay, until he sent me 'instructions' on how to activate my license. In his instructions, he told me to 'deactivate my internet' before entering my license code. I've done some research online and the exact code that he gave me is publically available on the Internet with some YouTube videos showing you how to 'crack' CCleaner. Could someone (ideally staff) please confirm to me that the eBay seller has scammed me? I thought I purchased a genuine license as in the title it says "Ccleaner Professional 2019 Genuine Product Key License Code 🔐 (SALE)." which obviously suggests that the license is real. furthermore, when I followed his steps, CCleaner even says it's an invalid key (although it does activate.) It just says this when you click on the 'License Information' button in the Product status section. I've notified the seller and he just keeps saying that the key is genuine and I just need to disconnect from the internet to use it.

Many Thanks.

I believe you only purchase license code from the Piriform site and also you should not have to deactivate your internet to register any code from any program.

I've seen those on eBay in the past many, many years ago and even told Piriform back in the day, and back then they stated they couldn't do anything about it. I even tried to report one of them to eBay as fraud with zero luck when I noticed someone had "re-skinned" CCleaner since they obviously don't lock down the program to prevent tampering.

I guess it's just a lesson well learned, buy directly from the publisher when it comes to buying a software license key.

I would normally buy something directly from the software publisher, but CCleaner is just a little bit too expensive for me and it's not a lifetime license either. I don't really have much money so I was trying to find a cheap license on eBay that perhaps someone didn't want anymore ect.

As you correctly deduced, this was indeed a pirated serial number being sold by someone dishonestly trying to take advantage of folks looking for a good deal.

About three weeks ago we started working with eBay to remove such fraudulent listings, and this seller is also being reported as I type this.  There have been a few dozen of these taken down so far and, although unfortunately some pop backup again with new throw-away accounts, we will be regularly checking to help keep our customers protected from counterfeit sales.

While we really appreciate users who pay for CCleaner where they can, we also know that not everyone is in a position to do so - which is why we are committed to always keeping a free version available as well as the paid and business versions.

Really sorry for the late reply Dave. I didn't get an email so I assumed that no-one else replied to my post. I'm not too sure when, but the eBay listing that I was referring to has now since been removed. Hopefully, people won't actually fall for these type of scams. As you said, I was just trying to get a good deal as I am really tight on money and can hardly afford a £5/month subscription. It's really sad, because over 30 people left positive feedback with that seller, assuming that they did not know that they were sold a pirated license key. Good luck with removing the fraudulent listings!

@LVTS the eBay listing that you reported was removed a couple of hours after I posted on the weekend (along with 12 others). We'll be keeping an eye out for these going forwards.

You also can't trust many online reviews giving praise or whatnot since some are fake or paid, even on big retailer sites.

Yes, that's very true. Owning my own business, I have to deal with false negative reviews all the time.