Can't recover 1 big file

michael1

Hello. I've accidentally deleted a huge 4k video file that I created myself from my various shots. It was on secondary HDD and I didn't do anything that writes any data on the disc. However, Recuva finds the file with correct size but cannot recover since apparently it only found 2 clusters on the disc. The header tab also shows nothing. It found other smaller files which occupies like thousand clusters but I don't understand why is this only showing 2 clusters despite recuva detecting the full size. Is the file completely gone?

0.PNG

• Moderators

Huge 4k or huge 52.4 gb? NTFS zaps cluster addresses on deleted files larger than 4 gb, so it would be very difficult to recover such a file, and is probably why only two clusters are listed.

Sorry I meant 4k as in resolution. It was a single video file at 50 gb size that I was editing every now and then. I guess it can't be recovered. About 8 softwares I tried, only recuva and easeus found the file with correct size, 1 managed to found at 0 bytes, others couldn't even find it. My last backup was 3 months ago but atleast there is a backup... Anyway, thanks for the help!

• Moderators

Yes, NTFS clears up after deleting files greater than 4gb, presumably to release records in the MFT if the file is fragmented (as it most likely is). The fragments may still exist on the disk but retrieving them and piecing them together would be a nightmare.