Version 5.56.7144

jengr2015

I finally installed the latest version and its first run it deleted 354 mb of junk. I was using version 5.40 for a long time because it cleaned in 2 seconds. Could someone inform me if this version 5.56 would clean better than 5.40? One would think that 16 versions later some cleaning changes would have been made. Am I correct in thinking this way? Did I make the right choice? Thanks for responding. 

• Moderators

It might clean more, it might clean less, or it might clean the same. It could depend on what you have selected too... Different version could have new apps for cleaning, or even have removed an app, due to compatibility issues, (highly unlikely) or it could be that, newer versions only added bug fixes, and new features (more that likely).

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, TwistedMetal said:

even have removed an app, due to compatibility issues, (highly unlikely)

Since v5.40 this has been removed in regards to it having the possibility of damaging Windows 10:
* Fonts cache cleaning removed.
* Windows.old cleaning removed.

New bug discovery it damages Google Chrome extensions using the Session cleaner, as seen here.

--------

To find out if any additional cleaning abilities have been added the change logs are always posted in the announcement topic of each new version, they are available on the forums at:
https://forum.piriform.com/forum/5-announcements/

To also help you determine if it's "worth updating" it's always wise to have a good look in the Bug Reports section of the forum. As of the past several versions it's getting bigger with more features and simultaneously getting buggier, which is the reason I finally downgraded to 5.40 like others have done - keeping in mind you need to disable Fonts Cache cleaning and disable Windows.old cleaning and never use them.

It must be noted that if using an old version of CCleaner, and having Windows 10 as the OS it will likely eventually get blacklisted as being too old by Windows 10, and Windows won't allow you to use it anymore, which is precisely what happened not too long ago with v5.28 that I had intended to downgrade to. Some older versions of Windows could care less which version you're using.

I have windows 8.1 so I don't think that affected me. Right now I am using the newest version.  It takes a little longer to clean but it should be safer. If for some reason this version stops working and I want to go back to version 5.40 how do I disable fonts cache and windows old? Sorry, may have asked before but need to print it. Where do I go to do that? Even though I am not using windows 10 I don't want to take any chances. Also, is there a more recent version that worked pretty well? I recently reformatted and want to stay safe. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Is the normal cleaning time around 23 seconds? Once in a while it will take 5 seconds but most of the time it does take around 23 seconds. I have windows 8.1 with the history unticked . The version 5.40 always ran in 3 seconds. Thanks

• Moderators

Depends on how much there is to clean, but no 23 seconds is not an extreme length.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Could someone please let me know if this version takes around 23 seconds to clean?

I have windows 8.1 with the history unticked. Once In a while it will only take 5 seconds but mostly 23 seconds, is this normal? I was using version 5.40 and it always took just 3 seconds. Thanks

• Moderators

I've merged your new topic with this one with exact same title name. Please try not to duplicate topics because you'll end up having people answering questions in two locations.

-------------

As for the delay when cleaning. I think some users noted that also having Cookies ticked/enabled under Internet Explorer could also cause a slow down - this was a few versions ago.

Edit:
I've personally noticed it mostly with having History ticked/enabled under Internet Explorer. Sometimes it will clean it very quickly, and sometimes it will take 10-15 seconds (maybe longer).