Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums
nukecad

Software Updater in free version?

Recommended Posts

I've just updated to v5.55 FREE and was surprised to see the new Software Updater enabled. - I thought the feature was only for PRO?

(And no, I'm not running a Pro trial and all other Pro options are still unavailable).

I was even more surprised that one of the applications it listed as Up-to-date was "Microsoft Windows Operating System".
(For some reason listed as version 12.0.17763.1 - It's actually Win 10 v1809 build 17763.348).

But really? You are going to list the Windows Operating System itself as something to be updated by CCleaner

 

image.thumb.png.d37652a9a3b79c8859707a2b836a248a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see it in Free, but you can only use it by starting a trial (just click on Update).

That is Windows Media Player. The name is displaying incorrectly and is in the process of being changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't use one anyway.

I always go to the softwares own website for updates.

I was just surprised to see it in the Free version - and to see that it was scanning my PC to list the software on it.

If as Stephen says it is not functional on Free then why is it scanning. (Call me suspicious).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I wouldn't use one anyway.

I always go to the softwares own website for updates.

I was just surprised to see it in the Free version - and to see that it was scanning my PC to list the software on it.

If as Stephen says it is not functional on Free then why is it scanning. (Call me suspicious).

And why, as Stephen says it's Windows Media Player displaying incorrectly, does it show on your CCleaner as needing an update while on mine, it shows it as up-to-date and I'm on the exact same Win 10 version you are?

 

 

Screenshot (1).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, if you check my screenshot you'll see it's in the up to date tab the same as yours. (Which it should be as Win 10 will update it automagically).

It's just a coincidence that it's also showing (3) updates needed. Those are 3 different apps listed on the other tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nukecad said:

No, if you check my screenshot you'll see it's in the up to date tab the same as yours. (Which it should be as Win 10 will update it automagically).

It's just a coincidence that it's also showing (3) updates needed. Those are 3 different apps listed on the other tab.

Oops. Sorry. My bad.  :rolleyes:  I appreciate the clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now the Updater is no longer showing in my CCleaner Free v5.55 - but I got yet another pop-up in the notification area instead.

Interestingly the datestamp on the CCleaner64.exe I installed yesterday has not changed - but the programme itself and it's behaviour has.

I don't allow CCleaner to update itself, I have the 'Update Manually' option set.

Which shows that Piriform are now changing functionality remotely without asking for any permission and simply ignoring your user settings.
(And possibly your privacy settings? As said above why did the Updater scan your software if it was not functional in Free?).

This is beyond unacceptable and well into the regions of malware behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nukecad said:

And now the Updater is no longer showing in my CCleaner Free v5.55 - but I got yet another pop-up in the notification area instead.

Interestingly the datestamp on the CCleaner64.exe I installed yesterday has not changed - but the programme itself and it's behaviour has.

I don't allow CCleaner to update itself, I have the 'Update Manually' option set.

Which shows that Piriform are now changing functionality remotely without asking for any permission and simply ignoring your user settings.
(And possibly your privacy settings? As said above why did the Updater scan your software if it was not functional in Free?).

This is beyond unacceptable and well into the regions of malware behaviour.

@nukecad  --  As of this writing, Updater is still showing in my CCleaner Free v5.55.  However, what showed in my screenshot posted above is now missing and all I get is a constantly spinning blue circle.  I'm inclined to agree with you -- something is being done remotely, regardless of user settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spinning blue circle was an indication that the updater could not connect (to wherever) over the internet.

I could reliably trigger it by going to 'flight mode' on my laptop, thus disconnecting the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

The spinning blue circle was an indication that the updater could not connect (to wherever) over the internet.

I could reliably trigger it by going to 'flight mode' on my laptop, thus disconnecting the internet.

@nukecad --  Thanks for explanation.  Last night, the Updater in the Free version was showing error 26.  In another post somewhere on the forum this morning, Piriform blamed that on a server problem which was reportedly fixed.  Now, things are changing behind the scenes (which I greatly detest) and I get the feeling the entire program is turning into one massive mess.  I dumped CCleaner last October out of frustration but decided recently to give it another chance.  I'm starting to regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crizal said:

I dumped CCleaner last October out of frustration but decided recently to give it another chance.  I'm starting to regret it.

CC v5.40.6411 is still good (last good version in my opinion since dealing with v5.55), it's what I downgraded to and will stay with until Windows 10 doesn't allow it anymore -- but at that point I also won't update to any newer version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andavari said:

CC v5.40.6411 is still good (last good version in my opinion since dealing with v5.55), it's what I downgraded to and will stay with until Windows 10 doesn't allow it anymore -- but at that point I also won't update to any newer version.

Good to know.  It's worth a try.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stephen Piriform, @Ben Piriform

Would someone care to comment - officially and publicly - on the points that I raised above?:

  1.     Why was the Update Feature scanning for software in CCleaner Free, when it was supposedly not even functional in the free version?
  2.     Was this data sent to Piriform?
  3.     Why was the Update feature removed from both Free and Pro versions with no announcement and without asking the users permission?
  4.     How was this achieved without an update, and without changing the datestamp on the installed CCleaner executable? (Note that I do not have CCupdate.exe on my machine).

I suspect that the answer to #4 will be something to do with remote UI changes made over the internet, which brings another question.

The CCleaner64.exe I was using was not only the Free version, it was extracted from the Portable zip which is supposed to be 'stand alone' - so why are you accessing it, and changing it's UI, remotely?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nukecad -- I am very much concerned about the questions you are raising and agree an explanation is needed.  Is the Software Updater physically gone from the tools section of your CCleaner Free version?  Mine still has it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally gone from screen, see belo.
But as the size (and datestamp) of the CCleaner64.exe file has not changed then the coding for it it must still be in the .exe and has just been remotely disabled..

Others here have also reported it's gone missing from their 'Pro' versions and asking why.

 

 

Clipboard01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very strange.  As you can see, I still have it.

 

 

Screenshot (1).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes strange things going on all round, and no explanations as usual -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Opinion] I don't think that they pulled the tool, as nukecad suggests, but that the hide code from the random beta was not fully removed. Of course that is an opinion and I have no further knowledge than either of you. [/Opinion]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nergal said:

[Opinion] I don't think that they pulled the tool, as nukecad suggests, but that the hide code from the random beta was not fully removed. Of course that is an opinion and I have no further knowledge than either of you. [/Opinion]

Honestly, I don't know what to think at this point.  It would be beneficial to hear from Piriform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound about right Nergal, but then how did they remove it later?

That is the big question that bothers me at the moment.

(I assume it may be a reg entry, but if so then how did they change it without a new install?).

And if they did remove it from free trial then why did it get removed from some Pro versions as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nukecad said:

That does sound about right Nergal, but then how did they remove it later?

That is the big question that bothers me at the moment.

(I assume it may be a reg entry, but if so then how did they change it without a new install?).

And if they did remove it from free trial then why did it get removed from some Pro versions as well?

You misunderstood me, I don't think it was removed, I think the code to previously hiding it is hinkey and may be still hiding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in all it's a mess. This seems to be the norm for CCleaner lately.

There were no comments by staff yesterday on any of the many bugs, and as it's the weekend I doubt if there will be any comments until next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a "tunable" a term used to explain how some online games can enable/disable something in the installed software without any need for an update. Just speculation though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had considered something like that.

Say showing it in the Free version with an upgrade offer for a limited number of days before removing it from view.

(I'm also aware that in my particular case I'm not using the 'Standard' installer, which could explain some different behaviour).

But that doesn't explain why some report Free versions are still showing it while it's been shown then removed from others,  - or more importantly why it has suddenly dissappeared from some Pro versions.
(There has been another report of it dissappearing from 3 Pro installations earlier today).
Unless as Nergal says the code is all to c**k.

Of course the Piriform staff could tell us what was intended, even if they don't know for sure what went wrong. - If they could be bothered.

I'm with Hazelnut, CCleaner errors following (or during) an update are becoming 'normal' these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×