Jump to content
Piriform Community Forums
nukecad

Software Updater in free version?

Recommended Posts

@nukecad -- For what it's worth, I still have the Software Updater on my Free version (standard installer), although there's nothing under either tab.  Not bothering with another screenshot right now, it still looks like the one I posted yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please remove this bloatware from free version. I always need to wait until CCleaner check for updates when I need use Tool tab.

Or just move it lower in Tools tab to fix this delay. I know CCleaner is now owned by Avast so here must be tons of bloat and popups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@crizal

What version of Windows do you have, if it's Windows 10 which version (1809 or another?) and have you installed this months Patch Tuesday update yet?

I've a suspicion that the PT update may have removed a registry entry that controls the display of the Software Updater in CC. (Thanks to TwistedMetal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nukecad said:

@crizal

What version of Windows do you have, if it's Windows 10 which version (1809 or another?) and have you installed this months Patch Tuesday update yet?

I've a suspicion that the PT update may have removed a registry entry that controls the display of the Software Updater in CC. (Thanks to TwistedMetal).

Windows 10, 1809, fully patched including all of this month's updates.  OS build is 17763.379 which is the latest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly the same as mine.

Can you remember if you put CC 5.55 on before or after the patch Tuesday update?

Checking the dates on my posts here the software updater seems to have disappeared about the time of that update.

(PS. I've got the updater back now by recreating that registry key, plus CC has also populated some extra reg entries to play with).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Exactly the same as mine.

Can you remember if you put CC 5.55 on before or after the patch Tuesday update?

Checking the dates on my posts here the software updater seems to have disappeared about the time of that update.

(PS. I've got the updater back now by recreating that registry key, plus CC has also populated some extra reg entries to play with).

Updated to CCleaner 5.55 BEFORE the Windows Updates.  However, as of 5 minutes ago, Software Updater is now MISSING from my CCleaner tools section.  Another behind-the-scenes event.

 

Screenshot (2).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, best to see what they do over the weekend, at least they seem to be working the weekend.

Plus I've learnt a few things about how they are distrubuting these trial features, and now have some new CCleaner reg entries to play with.
(As well as the Software Updater trial I can now tun the Quick Clean trial on and off at will, by making/modifying a reg entry).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, nukecad said:

LOL, best to see what they do over the weekend, at least they seem to be working the weekend.

Plus I've learnt a few things about how they are distrubuting these trial features, and now have some new CCleaner reg entries to play with.
(As well as the Software Updater trial I can now tun the Quick Clean trial on and off at will, by making/modifying a reg entry).

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy if I never see the Software Updater again in my FREE version.  Don't want it, don't need it.  My programs either update by themselves or they notify from the program itself.  From what I've read elsewhere on these forums, the updates reportedly come from FileHippo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to get rid of the Software Updater by doing the following...

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

2. Set (Cfg)SoftwareUpdater to 0.

3. Set (Cfg)SoftwareUpdaterIpm to 0.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a couple of references to the registry keys elsewhere on the forums.  As they are not present on my computer, and Software Updater is now also gone, I'm happy as I want nothing to do with it.  Of course, no one should do anything in the registry unless they really know what they're doing.  And, as has been repeatedly said in the forums numerous times, users should not have to jump through hoops and do all sorts of mish-mosh to get a program to work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nukecad -- As you can see, Software Updater has just returned after being gone for approximately 24 hours.  And, by the way, I now have all of those extra registry entries for the trial features you mentioned above.  This nonsense is getting tiring. 

 

Screenshot (2).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my reg entries have deleted themselves again, so the trials have gone again, it seems consistently inconsistent.

(Although I have also found the same reg entries, and many more, elsewhere in the registry).

I've given up playing with it for now, I've got other (better) things to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Well my reg entries have deleted themselves again, so the trials have gone again, it seems consistently inconsistent.

(Although I have also found the same reg entries, and many more, elsewhere in the registry).

I've given up playing with it for now, I've got other (better) things to do.

Agreed.  :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't like the fact that Software Updater is the default landing selection for Tools, when all I may want to do is see how many System Restore points the machine has.

In my case, one Windows 10 machine had the registry keys, and one Windows 7 machine didn't.

Both displayed Software Updater.

Adding the keys to the Windows 7 machine removed Software Updater.

Both keys are strings.

Export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner to back it up.

Not a big hoop to jump through to get the functionality you want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly not a big hoop to jump through but why should anyone have to do it?  CCleaner is a junk cleaner and it's becoming a bloated mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. We recognise that for some there are privacy, bandwidth consumption and usability concerns here. Next week we'll be putting out a Beta version with the Software Updater moved to the second slot so accessing the Tools menu doesn't always perform a check. This change will make it into a full release in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that advance notification of yet another bugfix @Stephen Piriform

However:

As asked previously (on Friday) - would you care to comment - officially and publicly - on the points that I raised above?:

  1.     Why was the Update Feature scanning for software in CCleaner Free, when it it supposedly not even functional in the free version?
  2.     Was this data sent to Piriform?
  3.     Why, and how, was the Update feature removed from both Free and Pro versions with no announcement and without asking the users permission?

Or would that be "No Comment"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New twist in the CCleaner FREE Software Updater saga.  First -- it's there, goes missing and in some cases (like mine) comes back, all without any user intervention as mentioned by @nukecad above this post.  Second -- if you do try to run it in FREE version, it doesn't work but you're asked to upgrade to PRO version.  Now the latest -- just restarted my computer and immediately got a pop-up in the notification area advertising the new feature and to upgrade to the PRO version (for a special price).   :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×