No way to restore file names from recycle bin?

DataHugg

Is there really no way to restore correct file names and folders from the recycle bin (Win 10)?

I have googled this to bits without a definitive answer.

I accidently deleted stuff from a friends Win 10 PC and emptied the recycle bin.  Booting from usb with recovery software, I can see what probably are most of the files but with incorrect file names, starting with ’$’. Seems I can get most of the data back, but the folder structure would be so nice to EaseUS implies in their ads that they can do this.

Any ideas?

This was almost solved by the poster below, but that user is wrong as the answers say.

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/37211-file-names-and-folder-locations/

• Moderators

That certainly is an old thread. Well, it makes me feel old.

Files sent to the recycler (which is just a system folder) are renamed with a $i and $R suffix. The $R file is the complete file and the $I file, which is 544 bytes if I remember correctly) holds the file name and folder. You can recover and read the $I file with Notepad.

You can recover the $R file as well, I don't know if it is the original file untouched, try renaming and opening it. You could also try the copy back to the recycler as the old thread describes, at your own risk.

Hm, actually, i cant see the $recycle.bin folder in recuva. I am running Recuva 1.53 from a usb stick (minicat boot image), working on C:\ . 

With Lazesofts recovery program, I can see the $Recycle.bin folder.

Any ideas to why I can’t see the recycle folder in recuva?

I suspect this is something trivial. I have set Recuva to show hidden system folders, if that matters.

Is your point that this is a slightly different topic than the original? I can go make a new post. 

I seemed to have mixed up what I see with Lazesoft and Racuva. A pity recuva cant find the recycle bin when lazesoft can.

• Moderators

I didn't know what benefit other than very slight it would make towards renaming the $R files. I don't know the circumstances under what the two software apps run, let alone what they do internally. Folders exist as a record in the MFT and the owning folder for a file is found by linking back from an offset held the file's MFT record. As this psyically exists or it doesn't I can't see why one piece of software can find it and another can't.

The recycler folder is extremely unlikely to have been deleted so it still should exist in the MFT, and the link back value in the file's MFT record should be valid, so Recuva should find it. I know I have previously run Recuva and seen the recycler folder, so I know Recuva can find it. I run Recuva in Advanced Mode with the top three boxes checked in Options/Actions, if that's any help.

Further investigation shows that i CAN find the recycle folder on for example an external drive I have. Not on this particular drive though (but I can find it with Lazesoft). I tried with and without the three options you mentioned, same result: found it on one drive not the other. 

I tried running the wizard and selecting recycle bin, again nothin on this particular drive, only the other. Strange since lazesoft finds it.

I do find a folder called $Extend, which Lazesoft didn’t find...