Identical problem each time i scan for issues

I am a relative novice with CC and need some help and advice. I am running W98SE, IE6 and have just updated to CC1.30.310. Also run regularly AdAware, SpyBlaster, AVG, SpyBot, CWShredder and ZoneAlarms.

Every time I "scan for issues" with all boxes checked under Registry and File Integrity, I have one identical problem (see details below). I click to save the registry, then click to allow the problem to be fixed and each time it says that issue is fixed by deleting the registry value. Following reboot, if I "scan for issues", it reports exactly the same problem.

Problem: ActiveX/COM Issue

Data: HeaderFooter.HeaderFooter.1-{30c3f6cd-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}

Registry Key: HKCR\HeaderFooter.HeaderFooter.1

I do have a very occasional and separate problem with IE6 crashing, and this error message points to another Active X file ddraw.dll.

Can anyone explain what this is all about and what I should be doing to rid myself of this nuisance?

Thanks

Flusters

Thanks so much for your expertise but I am not clear.

I downloaded the DAF medium version, clicked the exe file, then Tools. There are two items shown - Back up Registry and Repair/reinstall IE. I clicked the second item but the Repair/reinstall IE would not work because the log.txt file could not be found.

I know that I will probably look very stupid but I could not see a separate button under Tools called "Repair Permissions". I am running W98SE and IE6.

What am I doing wrong?

Flusters

Oh geez, I didn't even see the part where you said you are using Win98. My post was a reflex, sorry. Uh... well, since Windows 98 doesn't set permissions in the registry, then Dial-a-fix will not help you do anything, so, sorry about mentioning it. It would have shown up where you were, had you been running 2k/XP.

I don't know the answer at all.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Oh geez, I didn't even see the part where you said you are using Win98. My post was a reflex, sorry. Uh... well, since Windows 98 doesn't set permissions in the registry, then Dial-a-fix will not help you do anything, so, sorry about mentioning it. It would have shown up where you were, had you been running 2k/XP.

I don't know the answer at all.

Thanks for trying and I appreciate your honesty.

Perhaps someone else in the forum might know what the answer is?

Flusters

Start > Run > regedit

Drill-down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HeaderFooter.HeaderFooter.1\CLSID

The "(Default)" entry should say {30c3f6cd-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}.

Double-click on (Default) and change the first 4 digits of that long string to {3050...etc etc.

So it will be {3050f6cd-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b} when you're done.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I have done everything as suggested, then re-booted. Great news - there is no sign of the problem when I ran Issues this time.

Am delighted and extremely grateful for your considerable efforts on this. If it is not too much trouble (or too technical), what does the registry change of Header/Footer from 30c3etc to 3050etc actually do? Will this change, affect any other program?

It's such a relief. Now I just need to solve my intermittent ddraw.dll problem now.

Thanks again

Flusters

The COM object was pointing to the wrong CLSID. This is the first example I've seen of a registry cleaner needing the capability of correcting an entry instead of deleting it. It's probably a bug in iepeers.dll (that's the DLL the CLSID belongs to) rather than CCleaner, though. CCleaner was correctly identifying it as invalid.

DDraw crashes can be caused by anything, and are often not DirectDraw's fault. Since your system is old enough to have Windows 98, the video card is probably old enough that it the GPU is slightly damaged. TNT2, Vanta, and other NVIDIA cards from the Win98 era are currently dying left and right (as if by planned obsolescence) because the GPU is practically catching on fire. I suggest you open the side of your case, and touch the heatsink or GPU with your finger carefully... if it's too hot for you to put your finger on, the card is probably dying (especially if it's from that era). If you take the card out, and the GPU doesn't have a heatsink, then 1) it's definitely time for replacement anyway, as no card has an exposed GPU anymore, and 2) you might be able to see browning on the GPU's text. If it has a fan on it, and the fan label looks all dirty brown in the center, but white on the edges, your GPU is on fire and the card is dying.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

The COM object was pointing to the wrong CLSID. This is the first example I've seen of a registry cleaner needing the capability of correcting an entry instead of deleting it. It's probably a bug in iepeers.dll (that's the DLL the CLSID belongs to) rather than CCleaner, though. CCleaner was correctly identifying it as invalid.

Thank you once again for your help and advice. I tried various other Registry Cleaners a few years ago so that may not have helped. Most grateful to you.

Re the ddraw.dll problem. System bought new from Gateway in 1999 and has an ATA Rage 128 VR SD AGP video card. Will certainly check out your suggestion. Thank you again.

My sincere apologies to the forum and members for the ddraw.dll "off-topic" item - in my naivety, I thought it might be relevant to my original problem - ie possibly an Active X problem. Sorry.

Flusters

No problem. But yeah, your video card is most likely going to die. You can get a cheap one (like a GeForce MX-series card) from a local PC shop for about $35-50 USD (don't know how much it is in GBP).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips