CCleaner error code 19

• Moderators

Is it CCleaner showing this error code, or is it Windows?

Did you use the registry cleaner in CCleaner? (I suspect that you did).

Do you have an external drive or something else connected?

"Error Code 19" is a Windows registry error relating to connected hardware devices, you usually see it with external drives.

You should not use any registry cleaner with Windows 10 (Unless you are very sure just what it is doing).
Windows 10 changes all the time and registry cleaners can't keep up and may delete needed registry entries.

How to fix it (if it is a hardware connection error):

First off restart your computer and see if it will recognise the device again.
Windows 10 should do that no problem.

If it's still not recognised then try uninstalling and reinstalling the external device following the instructions that came with it.

Those are the simple fixes, if they don't work then you need to get more technical:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/windows-cannot-start-this-hardware-device.html

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Is it CCleaner showing this error code, or is it Windows?

Did you use the registry cleaner in CCleaner? (I suspect that you did).

Do you have an external drive or something else connected?

"Error Code 19" is a Windows registry error relating to connected hardware devices, you usually see it with external drives.

You should not use any registry cleaner with Windows 10 (Unless you are very sure just what it is doing).
Windows 10 changes all the time and registry cleaners can't keep up and may delete needed registry entries.

How to fix it (if it is a hardware connection error):

First off restart your computer and see if it will recognise the device again.
Windows 10 should do that no problem.

If it's still not recognised then try uninstalling and reinstalling the external device following the instructions that came with it.

Those are the simple fixes, if they don't work then you need to get more technical:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/windows-cannot-start-this-hardware-device.html

I believe it is CCleaner showing the error code.

Yes I used the registry cleaner as I always have.

No I have no external drive or anything else connected except for my wireless mouse, as usual.

• Moderators

Can you post a screenshot of the error? And tell us what you are doing when you get the error?

That should help someone to recognise just what it is.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I believe this error is associated with version 5.34 that has the software update checker installed in the tools menu.  I have also encountered an error 29 with this version that has the software update checker. 

-Some users of CCleaner Professional (and its trial) will find an early version of a new feature in the Tools menu. We will fully roll out this feature to CCleaner Professional in the coming weeks

Guest Ben CCleaner

Hi All,

For the next release we are working on more user facing error codes. For now I can tell you that the codes mentioned above relate to:

19 = Refresh Cancelled (Occurs if you navigate away from the Software Updater screen whilst it is refreshing the list)

29 = Timeout (Connection times out with the updater service)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ben Piriform said:

For the next release we are working on more user facing error codes.

Because everyone prefers seeing an obscure error code rather than a clear indication of what the problem actually is. :lol:

4 hours ago, Ben Piriform said:

Hi All,

For the next release we are working on more user facing error codes. For now I can tell you that the codes mentioned above relate to:

19 = Refresh Cancelled (Occurs if you navigate away from the Software Updater screen whilst it is refreshing the list)

29 = Timeout (Connection times out with the updater service)

I have experienced the problem again and had not at any time clicked away from the Software Updater screen. Please find attached a screengrab of the problem, as requested

CCleaner error 19.png

• Moderators

My bad,

From what Ben said above these error codes are something new in CCleaner, which is why we had never seen them before.

As this Software Updater is also something new, and experimental as well, there is not much we as users can advise about it.

Other than to say that being experimental there are probably bound to be a few issues with it.
There always are issues with new stuff which is why they try it out with a few users first - to see what goes wrong.

It will need one of the staff to comment/help you with an experimental feature.

Guest Ben CCleaner

@caravanserai When you select 'Tools' you are automatically taken to the Software Updater, this action initiates the software Scan/Refresh. As I can see from your screen shot you have moved to the Uninstaller tab, this will currently cancel the refresh and bring up error code 19. In the next release this message will be made clearer or be removed all together.