Forced chrome install during update

C BUCKLEY

I have started upgrading to CCleaner for all of my PCs.  And then today I ran an update that autoloaded Google Chrome.  I was sickened.  I didn't realize until that moment, that CCleaner has hooked up with the primary creator of our digital prison.  Like Mozilla. 

After 8+ years, I am now going to start looking for another cleaner program and STOP recommending CCleaner.  I was really shocked to find out that CCLeaner would stoop so low as to autoload a browser on me.  Wow.  All these years without manipulation beyond having to avoid FileHippo. 

Google contamination is a nightmare for security and privacy conscious end users.  Every single time Google gets into a business, it expands and monetizes every possible aspect of personal data collection.  It is parasitic and evil.  I am so sorry CCleaner/Piriform.  Any financial gain you got from doing a forced Google Chrome browser download on that last update is going to cost you in customers... starting with me.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, C BUCKLEY said:

After 8+ years,

The bundled installers for Chrome and Avast have been there for years, and have been complained about for years.

If you have been using CC for 8+ years you must have come across them before.

But it's easy to click,click,click and get caught.

I think we've all been caught at one time or another, I once got a Chrome install that was a PITA to remove.

Sometimes people complain that they don't see the offer to untick it, that's what happened to me.
I'm unsure but I think that may be due to some adblockers blocking the display of the offer?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
8 hours ago, nukecad said:

may be due to some adblockers blocking the display of the offer?

Maybe the Windows HOSTS file, but really it's all probably down to the installer. One of the reasons I primarily use portable versions of software and completely avoid installers when possible.