Speccy identified my CPU wrong

jberniep

• Moderators

maybe Speccy is simply passing on what is in the firmware.

start an elevate command prompt and type in wmic cpu list brief and see what it thinks your CPU is.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

exactly the same problem

i installed i7 9700k 

it showed i7 7700k 

though it shows the corect core number 8 core ( 7700 got 6 core only)

compared CPU-Z and  task manager and "dxdiag"-> all shows up i7 9700k .

probably speecy bug. 

i hope iget it right because it is my first built pc. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded to Speccy Pro in hopes of getting rid of this problem, it DIDNT WORK!!!!

"CPU
        Intel Core i7 7700
            Cores    8
            Threads    8
            Name    Intel Core i7 7700
            Code Name    Kaby Lake
            Package    Socket 1151 LGA
            Technology    14nm
            Specification    Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
            Family    6
            Extended Family    6
            Model    E
            Extended Model    9E
            Stepping    C
            Instructions    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
            Virtualization    Supported, Disabled
            Hyperthreading    Not supported
            Fan Speed    2136 RPM
            Bus Speed    100.4 MHz
            Stock Core Speed    3600 MHz
            Stock Bus Speed    100 MHz
            Average Temperature    31 °C
                Caches
                    L1 Data Cache Size    8 x 32 KBytes
                    L1 Instructions Cache Size    8 x 32 KBytes
                    L2 Unified Cache Size    8 x 256 KBytes
                    L3 Unified Cache Size    12288 KBytes
                Cores
                        Core Speed    Multiplier    Bus Speed    Temperature    Threads
                    Core 0    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    31 °C    APIC ID: 0
                    Core 1    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    32 °C    APIC ID: 2
                    Core 2    1406.1 MHz    x 14.0    100.4 MHz    29 °C    APIC ID: 4
                    Core 3    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    30 °C    APIC ID: 6
                    Core 4    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    31 °C    APIC ID: 8
                    Core 5    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    30 °C    APIC ID: 10
                    Core 6    4720.6 MHz    x 47.0    100.4 MHz    31 °C    APIC ID: 12
                    Core 7    803.5 MHz    x 8.0    100.4 MHz    30 °C    APIC ID: 14"

Thanks CLEVERBRIDGE

• Moderators

g'day RJM and welcome to the forums.

as with all of Piriform's software, their Pro versions offer the same functionality as the Free versions.
I'm pretty sure this is stated in the documentation.
the Pro versions give extra benefits like direct support and, as an example, in Recuva you can scan VHD's, and in CC you can clean all PC users.
but if something doesn't work in a Free version, getting the Pro won't change things.

now you do have the Pro, you could raise a support ticket (and get that priority support you're paying for) from the website and enquire about getting your money back.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

care to share a couple of screenshots.

one from Speccy and one from WMIC, it may help the Devs - but hey - we all see on this thread the importance they have with fixing Speccy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have the "Pro" version of Speccy to check this too. If that is showing the same inaccurate information then that is pretty bad form.

Speccy 'Free' v1.32.740 has not been updated in months, possibly not since May 2018, whereas CPU-Z has been updated at least twice recently, currently on v1.91.

Process Hacker 2 reports that the most recent Speccy version when launched as being CPUZ143 so if that means it is using that CPUZ 'engine' I'd bet that if users of more recent Intel CPUs used that it will report the same thing.

However it is difficult to test because CPUZ uses a different ID to the version numbers. For instance the current version v1.91 reports as CPUZ149. So what version or versions CPUZ143 was used for and how old that is ..........................................................just found it. 

Luckily CPU-Z have archives of old versions with details of what was updated and whilst I can not be bothered to check back* when it was introduced CPUZ143 was last used by CPUZ v1.81 dated 27th September 2017.  So the 'engine' Speccy apparently uses is over two years old and it is therefore not surprising it can not identify more recent Intel CPU versions.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Still it should have been updated by now to be able to identify those CPUs and if 'Pro' Speccy is the same then you have to ask what are people paying for?

*by fluke I downloaded what I'm fairly sure is the first archived version they had of CPUZ143 which is CPUZ v1.79 dated April 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Most likely cause is your CPUs are latest gen but Speccy hasn’t been updated in years.

It is indeed that just as I suggested earlier too.

This thread:-

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51922-defraggler-222-detecting-my-hdds-as-ssds/?do=findComment&comment=313762

indicates that the same applies to Defraggler and Recuva too.

I speculated on the reason why in that thread but it would be interesting and helpful to have things confirmed by somebody in a position to do so, if anything is going to be done about it and explain why the "Pro" versions are still being offered when they are now significantly flawed for the same reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 23/04/2020 at 22:20, Sir Jack said:

Exact same problem as everybody else :(

Let's lol.

I completely forgot about this issue and today after formatting I bought Speccy pro... and it had the same bug from 4 years ago! I'm impressed!