HELP! CCleaner Changed ALL Text to Gibberish!

So I've never used one of these cleaners before, and I've had my new computer for about 3 months, and CCleaner found about 1500 problems. So I told it to fix them, and then I restarted my computer. Why I restarted, all the text on my computer had been changed to gibberish. Even the blue welcome screen was in gibberish. The word "start" on the start menu was in gibberish. What's going on??

Hello and welcome :)

Gosh that is not good. I'm not really sure where to start with this one to be honest. Can you start with giving some more information and a screen shot?

Did you make a backup of the changes?

What OS are you running?

What version of CCleaner are you using?

Can you post a screenshot so that we can see what you are talking about?

Have you installed anything else recently?

Thanks,

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Well, I saved the registry info just in case something horrible happened, so I have since merged it back in, restarted, and fixed that problem, but my filthy registry remained. What I have done to remedy the problem is simply uncheck "Fonts" on the registry clean tool when cleaning it. Cleaning my fonts, for some reason, meant deleting all of them and leaving nothing but Wingdings.

I'm running Windows XP Professional and using CCleaner v1.30.310. I don't have a screenshot and I'd prefer not to repeat it, but if you have anymore advice I'd be glad to hear it. Beyond that, if it happens again in the near future, I'll get you your screenshot :) (I was surprised to see the word START on the button in the corner was actually part of the fonts, I figured it was just a picture of the text...but nope)

• Moderators

Some app you installed or uninstalled at some point may have messed with your fonts. The problem is other registry cleaners you may end up using in the future may have the same effect. Therefore downloading a tool such as X-Fonter (Last Freeware Version) and allowing it to register/re-register all your fonts that it's capable of registering will put them back into the registry so that they aren't messed with by registry cleaners.

register/re-register all your fonts

This is interesting... I'm going to look into implementing that kind of a feature into DAF.

(edit: ok, I implemented it. public beta #2 will have it.)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

This is interesting... I'm going to look into implementing that kind of a feature into DAF.

(edit: ok, I implemented it. public beta #2 will have it.)

Glad I sparked your interest.

A little legacy s**t from my Win98 days:

It would be cool if damaged/corrupted fonts could be recognised. Why? Because I've had those lock up a whole system before when trying to use them, of course without knowing they were damaged/corrupted until trying to view them in a font manager.

Heh, my font registration method wasn't that safe, so I'm going to hold off on that for a while.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)