Unable to open recovered documents

otto1357

Hi, I am a newbie. I have looked at the on line docs FAQ etc.  I have recovered documents however te are prefaced by a $ sign which I assume that this means they are corrupted however I have found one word document that does open properly to read. What do I do to recover readable documents that open?

• Moderators

Files beginning with $ are usually live system files, and can be neither deleted nor recovered. Unfortunately there is no magic way to recover corrupted deleted files. If the data's gone then it's, well, gone.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I have tried a number of different file types but there does'nt seem to be a patern. Some word excel and PDF files open but not others. The word files often come up with file conversion errors and don't work on western microsoft default or any other codex. The PDF silimarly and get the file compatability pop up that I get from docx 368 file types which i usually overcome with compatabilty or open with . I am still using my old microsoft office software as as I dont like the new microsoft upgardes edge, outlook etc but do you think if I upgrade to 365 this would allow me to open these docs. Just to be clear the files that I am trying to open were saved with the same application I am using now.