Thanks for playing fair pop up

mpw101

What is this and how do I get it to stop popping up? I am a single user on a home computer.  What is with this thing popping up every time I open CCleaner?  I am not in a commercial environment.  See attachment from my snipping tool.

cc pop up.JPG

I would really like some help.  Has this not happened to anyone else?  I am using Windows 7 home premium sp1 operating system.  Ccleaner 5.49.6856 (64bit).  Everything was just fine until all of a sudden this thing started popping up in the lower right hand corner of my computer screen a couple days ago.

• Moderators

This is just a popup that will show for all users.  According to the Piriform team, it should only appear once.  Moderators are in talks with the development team on how best to inform users that they might see this pop-up.  Essentially, it's there to generically remind users that ccleaner is free for home use only.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for your reply.  This is happening more than once.  I am not sure why.  Sometimes after I have turned my computer off and back on.  But sometimes if it has gone to sleep and then I use CCleaner.  And sometimes when I clean, it happens several times in a row.   It seldom does not happen.  It is very annoying.  Whatever the development team planned, that is not what is happening on my machine.

If you get word why this has gone nuts on my computer and find a solution, please post.

Thank you again.

• Moderators

Are you using the registry cleaner?

Sometimes these annoying pop-us set a registry value to say 'don't show it again". (Sometimes it's a cookie).

If you clear that entry (or cookie) it will pop up again.

CC shouldn't clear it's own stuff but it would need one of the devs to check if this is happening by mistake.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

It's a cookie.  Not the registry.

I have been using same version of Ccleaner since November 26, 2018.  I have unchecked the box next to "inform me of updates."  I guess Ccleaner somehow calls home because I now have this tracking cookie on my computer: ipm-provider.ff.avast.com.

When I run Ccleaner it cleans it and the next time I use Ccleaner I get the pop up.  If I save avast’s tracking cookie, the next time I open Ccleaner I don’t get the popup.

Thank you.  I guess I will have to tolerate the popup as I really don’t want to take avast with me everywhere I go.

Is there another cleaner out there?  I really don’t like what has happened to Ccleaner.  It is not at all as friendly as it used to be.

• Moderators

You are not alone there.

As this is a Piriform forum it is not acceptable to mention competing software.

I will say that I took a good look at why I had CCleaner and wrote my own batch file to clear most of what I wanted. (Browser stuff mainly, it helps if you take a look at what files CC is cleaning).

CC is still on my machine for some of it's other tools.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Thank you for noticing it was tied to the avast cookie.  I've, again, pushed your thread to the development team.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It would probably be better if they did what some freeware antivirus software does that shows ads by having an .XML file store the info and images, then no need for a cookie to ever be stored, and they wouldn't even have to put the images in CCleaner causing more heft.

Thought it might be my fault.  Maybe if I got the latest version of Ccleaner it would stop erasing its own cookie.  No joy.  Although Ccleaner does not tell its users, ya have to move their cookie, ipm-provider.ff.avast.com, to the "cookies to keep" box or Ccleaner will keep erasing it and the pop up will keep popping up.  Be nice if they had told people that.

Found a discussion from a year ago on this site about how the cookie is all for us users so that Ccleaner knows when we have seen one of their prompts and won't send it again.  Well that doesn't seem to be working .  They are not "whitelisted by default," as Stephen seems to think.

• Moderators

ipm-provider.ff.avast.com did used to be whitelisted by default, you could force delete it but it just came back again.

It wasn't in 'cookies to keep' it was just that CCleaner would not delete it unless you forced it to.

But I believe that they stopped whitelisting it following user complaints about repetitive advertising pop-ups in the Windows notification area.
The way it was working at that time was if you had the cookie you got the popup, now it seems to be the other way round? (I suspect deliberately).
I was one of the complainers; this is from a couple of months after your link above:

EDIT: I  temporary resolved the issue. Disconnect from the internet when opening Ccleaner. Pop up does NOT appear.

I read about this fix: HERE

I am using ccsetup553_slim.exe

https://download.ccleaner.com/slim/ccsetup553_slim.exe

I am getting the pop up.

This pop up happens every time I open Ccleaner.

The settings below have always been these settings, I never had an issue before.

I have noticed some things in previous versions scanning with VirusTotal. This slim version 553 seems clean of 'suspected' 'icons' issues.

I'm not sure what is included to cause the pop up. I don't know how or what to block in a firewall. I don't see "ipm-provider.ff.avast.com" listed anywhere, as others mentioned.

ccleaner pop up.JPG

ccleaner pop up 2.JPG

ccleaner pop up 3.JPG

ccleaner pop up 1.JPG

The "Thanks for playing fair" popup has disappeared.  I have not as yet seen the new one.  Guess it will eventually arrive.  I think Nergal was successful in getting the "development team" to fix the problem. (Thanks Nergal)  Ccleaner may now be working as it is supposed to work.  We are going to get popups.  The test is do we keep getting the same popup over and over.

Nothing is going to stop Avast from advertising.