CCleaner doesn't run if the Windows Administrator account is activated.

lolcocks

Hello,

This is a long time bug preset since the first build of Windows 10 and is still preset in Windows 10 Build 1809.

Bug:

If you activate the Windows 10 Administrator account using the below command:

net user Administrator /active:yes

And the run CCleaner (on any account), the CCleaner process will start but the user interface will not load, CCleaner won't show up on the screen.

Workaround:

Press Alt+F4 on the desktop and choose 'Switch User'.

Login back to the same user and you will find CCleaner running.

• Moderators

It is not a bug in CCleaner.

Certain programmes/applications will not run in the built in Administrator account, (including CCleaner).
That is not a bug - it is by design for safety, Microsofts design to protect your Windows installation.

You should not be using that special Administrator account in general use.

It is an elevated Administrator account that is used for troubleshooting and 'special' admin tasks.
(It has elevated privileges, and some checks like the UAC are disabled when running it)

Because it has greater privleges and less checks then it can be a security risk to run it as a general use account, particularly if you are accessing the internet.

Enable it, do the advanced troubleshooting, disable it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

If you know what you are doing then you can change certain registry settings to let those 'blocked' apps run.
Remember that by doing this you are overriding Microsoft design and safety protocols, so are at greater risk of breaking your machine.
I won't give details of how to do that, if you can't find them yourself then you shouldn't be doing it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I see, thank you for this information.

15 hours ago, nukecad said:

Certain programmes/applications will not run in the built in Administrator account, (including CCleaner).

However, I will mention that CCleaner won't run even as a normal account (standard or other administrator accounts) if the main 'Administrator' account is enabled.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, lolcocks said:

However, I will mention that CCleaner won't run even as a normal account (standard or other administrator accounts) if the main 'Administrator' account is enabled.

Hmm, I can't realy comment on that.
Like I say I only enable that advanced administrator account for special tasks and then disable it again.

It may well be intended behaviour (by Microsoft) if the MS Admin account is enabled?

If you disable that special admin account and then CC will run in the other accounts that would support that it's intended to be that way.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043