CCleaner stealth installation?

Jimmni

I installed Speccy last night. I was careful while doing so to check the installer for "hidden rubbish" being installed alongside it. Today I looked at my computer and CCleaner was there on my desktop. I was confused as to where it came from but googling it shows it's by the same company that makes Speccy. I uninstalled it, and uninstalled Speccy immediately. Out of curiousity I ran the installer for Speccy again to see if I'd missed a checkbox somewhere. And it's there in a seriously hidden spot, blended in to a blue background. It took me a long time to spot it when I was actively looking for it.

What is this nonsense?

Super shady behaviour. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Now instead of buying a new Speccy license I'm never using Piriform software again.

I also can't find how to delete this account, which as a citizen of the EU is my legal right, particularly as it contains personally identifiable information. What is the process for complete account removal?

This whole site is a GDPR violating nightmare.

Out of curiousity I ran the installer for Speccy again to see if I'd missed a checkbox somewhere. And it's there in a seriously hidden spot, blended in to a blue background. It took me a long time to spot it when I was actively looking for it.

Still shameful.

Now please delete this account and all information stored about me.

I see you're also storing cookies without the legally required popup notification. Guess you're one of the companies that just didn't bother at all with GDPR.

This whole site is a GDPR violating nightmare.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jimmni said:

I also can't find how to delete this account, which as a citizen of the EU is my legal right,

The 'Right of Erasure' (Right to be Forgotten) under GDPR covers data held about you. It is a much missunderstood right.

Don't get me wrong here, I have had heated discussions in the past (with Ben and Stephen) about Piriforms data collection and GDPR.

However:
The 'Right of Erasure' is not an absolute right to have anything/everything removed just because you want someone to.
Oraganisations do not have to remove data just because you ask them to.
https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-your-data-deleted/

In particular it does not cover forum posts. because -

1. You have made those posts of your own free will, you have made them in the 'Public Domain' - they have not been 'collected' by the organisation.
2. Posts you make on a public forum are not 'personal data'. (Unless you put personal data in there, which you can ask to be removed).
3. On a more practical note - Anything posted will already have been collected, and archived, by the likes of Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. That's how search engines work.(Good luck getting all of those removed).

The email address you used for your forum account is Personal Data, and you can ask for it to be removed under GDPR.
The organisation would then have to consider removing it and reply to your request, it doesn't have to remove it though.
Much simpler to 'Change Password' to something junk.

The forum admin could remove user accounts and content on request, but they don't have to.
Most won't as it can leave 'holes' in the forum.

Basically - If you don't want something to be seen then don't put it in public in the firstplace.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 month later...
  • Andavari locked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just to not let @Andavari look weird the post he commented on was removed when I banned the spammer.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com