Files not possible to clean

zoombie

• Moderators

Try navigating to the folder in Windows Exlorer, you will probably find that you do not have access to one or more of the sub-folders in the pathname.
(You may also not have access to delete the individual files).

If this is the case then Windows Explorer will ask if you want to have access/take ownership of the folder, once you do then CCleaner should be able to clean them in future.
(There are also 3rd party apps you can download that let you take ownership of folders/files if you are having access problems, I have one on my context menu).

Be aware that Windows limits access to certain folders like this for good reason.
Windows does not want users managing these folders because they contain files critical to the system, unless you are sure what you are doing then you should leave Windows to manage them.

Another possibility is that the file(s) may still be open for use by Windows, CCleaner cannot clean files that are open.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Well, I already did grant myself ownership, bit it still doesn't work. And I also check if any processes are running and locking the files. Seams that these folder are not to be messed with. Or another possibility is that Windows recreates them and  automatically resets the ownership. 

As to cleaning; I also use IObits ACS Ultimate to clean, and it seems that I have to use them both to make it as "superclean" as possible. 

What worries my most is that some files contains MB's of data which should not be normal when it comes to web data.

Anyway, do you have a link to these 3rd party apps the grants ownership. I am new here so I 
am not sure how to find your context menu.

Thanks!

• Moderators

If you try to manually delete one of the files in file explorer or a command window what error message do you get?

The 'context menu' is simply the small menu that pops up when you right click on something.
(It changes with the 'context' of what was clicked).

As this is a company forum we don't usually give links to other software, but it depends on just what it is.

If you put "take ownership" into google the first two hits should be howtogeek and tenforums, both of which will tell you how to add it to your context menu.

It means making some registry changes, so if you are not confident using the registry editor I suggest you download the registry 'hack' from howtogeek which should do it for you.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1. The message error says that the file is in use by a Windows Process.
2. No links is understandable, but in order to compare differences i cleaning ability and other properties other products ought to be mentioned to find out the reason to why they differ.
3. Thank's for the howtogeek tip. I'll have a try at it. But one thing concerns me. If I make some mistake and the computer won't start up at all, how can I restore the registry. Very often I have got the message that one or several restore points was not possible. 
4. I am not sure what registry hack I should download. No explicit link. Maybe I'll find out by reading it carefully.

5. Another issue I find is that many privacy issues are not cleaned at all. After cleaning repeated times with CC, I finally get only a few files left. But when I use IOBits software after that it can find a lot more privacy issues. And CC does not clean Opera cookies though I check that option.

Thanks for your guiding though!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, zoombie said:

And CC does not clean Opera cookies though I check that option.

Since Opera is now Chrome/Chromium based make sure it doesn't have any processes that are still running in the background as seen here (that is if Opera uses the same type of settings).

Edit:
The community Winapp2.ini file already covers that area you're attempting to clean using [MS Search *], see the topic and download location at:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/?do=findComment&comment=175835

Note:
Improperly cleaning the Windows 10 Search Index with third-party cleaning tools or all by yourself manually deleting things may or will break Cortana/Search functionality! In that event to get the functionality back you would need to Rebuild/Repair the Search index as seen here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58569-rebuild-search-index-windows-10-a.html

• Moderators

If the files are in use , by a Windows Process or anything else, then they cannot be deleted/cleaned.

As Andavari says that s probably also the problem with Opera, if it (or part of it) is still running in the background then the open files cannot be cleaned.

As always if you are unsure what you are doing with the registry then leave it well alone.
Making an error in the registry can turn your computer into an expensive doorstop.

Here is a link to some take ownership tools, I've never tried them so at your own risk and read everything carefully first to make sure it's compatible with your OS (there may be different versions for Win 7, 8 or 10) and that you understand how to install/use it.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-take-ownership-and-grant-full-control-permission-with-winownership/

But even if you have ownership of the files you will not be able to delete/clean them if they are in use.

TBH if they are being used by a Widows System Process then I wouldn't touch them at all, I'd use the Windows built in Disk Clean-up utility to clean them and nothing else.

• Moderators

The problem with running a Take Ownership tool (right-click Menu option that I installed via a .REG file) is even after a reboot it doesn't always set some folder locations back to protected, it will re-protect important Windows areas but things outside of Windows such as a Windows Disk Image made with the built-in disk imaging tool are then left unprotected.

• Moderators

Indeed, as with anything else you should take care to know what you are using and just what it is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, again.
I tried to run the "take Ownership" script, but after that I could not open folders by double- clicking, Only by "open" on the "right popup menu".
I use Windows 7 Ultimate, so there might be something special about that. It was rather easy to remove it from the registry though.
Anyway, by hitting the "clean" button 5-6 times, the list of not removed items was reduced step by step down to 8-9 items. I guess that will have to do.

As a complement I use IOBits ASC Ultimate scanner, which does almost the same job, but finds another 15-20 "privacy threats" which after removal are reduced to 11 items. As I can see; all these leftovers are all connected to running processes, so what would be of additional interest is to know what services I can set to inactive. 

I read a lot of articles about the increasing amount and types of threats on the net nowadays, and I find it quite uneasy, to say the least. 

I attach an image of the remaining items in CC. Thanks again for your Tips & Tricks.  I also have another question; I now use CC Pofessional. Would any of you recommend to upgrade to the Pro Plus version including the other tools?

My Best/Zccdmp.thumb.PNG.f83543b9c8b86a65afc4b5bc62a59cb3.PNG