help with defrag

kaminikij

when I click analyze in the defrag it tells me I need to defrag. When I view the report there are a lot of files there. When I defrag it takes less then a minute but when its done the view report is clean. But after i reboot my computer and check again it tells me I need to defrag and again the view report is full. This has been going on for a week or so. Last month no problem. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks so much. kaminikij

So sorry. Windows xp sp2. This is a report I just copied.

Volume (C:)

Volume size = 74.50 GB

Cluster size = 4 KB

Used space = 5.48 GB

Free space = 69.02 GB

Percent free space = 92 %

Volume fragmentation

Total fragmentation = 17 %

File fragmentation = 35 %

Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation

Total files = 21,007

Average file size = 307 KB

Total fragmented files = 1

Total excess fragments = 2

Average fragments per file = 1.00

Drive c

Pagefile fragmentation

Pagefile size = 1.96 GB

Total fragments = 3

Folder fragmentation

Total folders = 1,978

Fragmented folders = 1

Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

Total MFT size = 84 MB

MFT record count = 23,011

Percent MFT in use = 26 %

Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented

None

So sorry. Windows xp sp2. This is a report I just copied.

Volume (C:)

Volume size = 74.50 GB

Cluster size = 4 KB

Used space = 5.48 GB

Free space = 69.02 GB

Percent free space = 92 %

Volume fragmentation

File fragmentation

Total files = 21,007

Average file size = 307 KB

Total excess fragments = 2

Average fragments per file = 1.00

Drive c

Pagefile fragmentation

Pagefile size = 1.96 GB

Total fragments = 3

Folder fragmentation

Total folders = 1,978

Fragmented folders = 1

Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

Total MFT size = 84 MB

MFT record count = 23,011

Percent MFT in use = 26 %

Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented

None

Empty your Prefetch then do a checkdisk after clear Event Viewer if your curious look in applications for Winlogon it will tell you the errors-then run CCleaner -EMPTY recycle bin then Defrag

Perfect Disk has a 30 day trial and in my opinion is much better than Windows Defrag

Hope this helps.

Check your disk with: chkdsk /f and reboot.

Thanks so much for helping. Even after doing all that (except viewin winligon logs) No go. Its runs to compressing files 43% the pops up the defrag is complete. My hard drive?

After running analyze are there a lot of red bars? And are you the administrator?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

After running analyze are there a lot of red bars? And are you the administrator?

no there are hardly any red bars. Its weird because to me it looks rather empty. But it feels like it needs to be defrgged. Disk check ran rather quickly too, I thought. I think I am the administrator. ( Here's the part were you find out what a dummy I am) No sure. A friend suggested I have a corrupt profile but I dont know what that could mean or if it could be so.

You're done. There's 1 file (probably being used by Windows) that cannot currently be defragmented. You have nothing to worry about.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

windows system 32 config 169 fragments, documents & settings 26 fragments documents and setting

11 fragments and windows update

That level of fragmentation shouldn't result in a recommendation to defrag but I think the problem is that this part of the report:
Volume fragmentation

doesn't seem to make sense relative to the rest.

I found one article in "Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks" regarding incomplete defrags. In addition to the usual "close all non-essential programs and background processes", they specifically suggest temporarily disabling the Disk Indexing service in the drive properties. It might be worth trying.

niether worked couldnt extract the file from system internals and didnt defrag with index service off.

Went back into event log and found 6 errors for wmi adapter and 2 for com1. Think I need more than a defrag!

http://DjLizard.net/Dial-a-fix-2006-05-25.exe

Click the green double checkmark button and click GO.

Once finished, click the Hammer (Tools) and double click Reset WMI/WBEM (all the way at the bottom).

edit: oh yeah, and this will generate tons of errors/warnings/information entries in Event Viewer, so after using Dial-a-fix, clear out all of the logs and reboot the computer.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

You can also try PageDefrag

I was also thinking of PageDefrag, and pagefile.sys. If it is pagefile.sys and you use PageDefrag it will probably take a few minutes for it to defrag that file. Of course it could also be some other files that are locked and in-use by Windows that PageDefrag can of course defrag on the next boot.